Discussion topic: Sky q mini box schedu

This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

Re: Sky q mini box schedu

@JN4   Not that I am wanting to confuse the issue but have you thought about Sky Stream?

Believe me (and the others) Sky Q will do all you ask, but with Stream everything is there to watch on demand.  (Imagine you are on Netflix it's all there to click on) SkyQ will be around for some time to come but it isn't being updated any more and will eventually be closed down by Sky.  It is essential however you have a good strong wi-fi for Stream.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Stephen+Mourton wrote:

@JN4   Not that I am wanting to confuse the issue but have you thought about Sky Stream?

Believe me (and the others) Sky Q will do all you ask, but with Stream everything is there to watch on demand.  (Imagine you are on Netflix it's all there to click on) SkyQ will be around for some time to come but it isn't being updated any more and will eventually be closed down by Sky.  It is essential however you have a good strong wi-fi for Stream.

@Stephen+Mourton just to be picky Sky Q is still receiving updates.

I think what you meant to is that Sky Q will more than likely not receive any new features which is slightly different to not receiving updates.

Also with stream you have to add programmes to your playlist and if they are not available to cloud record they will default to the on demand which may mean that the programme is only available through a paid app rather than one of the free apps this happens frequently with films not on Sky channels where the channels has the broadcast rights but not streaming rights  

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@Laing1  Yes you are quite right I did mean no updates, thanks.

with regard to your other comment if I understand you correctly, programs or films are there to be selected whether you have saved them to the Playlist or not.  Does the Playlist serve another function other than a reminder of what you want watch?  

JN4
Topic Author
This message was authored by JN4 This message was authored by: JN4

So it is just the storing of recordings that have to be to the main box. Recordings can be made from a mini box and accessed from the main box and watched on the mini box.

@JN4 wrote:

So it is just the storing of recordings that have to be to the main box. Recordings can be made from a mini box and accessed from the main box and watched on the mini box.

@JN4 yes so take today I recorded F1 in HD the recording as you can see from my previous picture is stored on the main Q box  but can be seen in the recordings section of the menu(this menu is the same on all boxes) and is available to all boxes to view 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@JN4 

You may, also, wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

(which also mentions the recordings)

@Stephen+Mourton wrote:

@Laing1  Yes you are quite right I did mean no updates, thanks.

with regard to your other comment if I understand you correctly, programs or films are there to be selected whether you have saved them to the Playlist or not.  Does the Playlist serve another function other than a reminder of what you want watch?  

@Stephen+Mourton only some progammes/films are available to watch without addition subscriptions to other streaming services. Most if not all from Sky will be available on demand and others will guide you to the appropriate App ie bbc iplayer App, ITVX app etc which are all free but some programmes/films might only be available on say Prime or Disney+ which are an additional cost 

The playlist you add programmes from the epg and when they are available you can play them from the playlist but if you add a series it will also add all the previous series as well so it is more than just a reminder 

I don't have stream so im sure someone will correct description if its completly wrong 😂

JN4
Topic Author

How many recordings can be made at any one time with a sky q 1tb box?

@JN4 wrote:

How many recordings can be made at any one time with a sky q 1tb box?

With the old 1TB non UHD box youo can record 3 whilst watching a 4th

With the UHD 1TB (& all 2TB)  5 whilst watching a 6th (an option to record 6 and watch a 7th by disabling the mini previews)

JN4
Topic Author

When I spoke to sky earlier(to enquire about switching from sky+ to q) they said the 1tb box would record 6. Does this mean I would automatically get the newer UHD box if I switched?

@JN4 wrote:

When I spoke to sky earlier(to enquire about switching from sky+ to q) they said the 1tb box would record 6. Does this mean I would automatically get the newer UHD box if I switched?

the 1TB UHD box has been the standard for some whil e but as per my notes always best to get them to confirm as they did often use non UHD boxes for many of the 'free' installations

(i.e. get them to actively state which box which can then be double checked on the voice recordings if there is any dispute)

JN4
Topic Author

I took out a sky q contract yesterday of which i have ordered an additional two mini boxes.I have taken multiscreen also. Does the one multiscreen monthly payment cover me for the two mini boxes?

JN4
Topic Author

I have just switched to sky q and taken out multiscreen. I previously had two additional sky + boxes,of which i paid two £15 multiscreen payments. My new contract i have two mini boxes but only one multiscreen contract. Does this one contract cover me for the two mini boxes?

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@JN4 wrote:

Does this one contract cover me for the two mini boxes?

Yes.

And also allows you to watch in some extra ways if needed, such as via the Sky Go app on an Apple TV 4K or the TV from Sky app on an Xbox.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion