Discussion topic: Sky q box stops working

This message was authored by Sian275 This message was authored by: Sian275

Sky q box stops working

My sky q box keeps stopping working almost every morning and randomly throughout the day. There is power to the box the light is green but we have no TV. The only way to fix it is to turn the box off and then back on. As you can imagine doing this daily sometimes more than once a day is very annoying. We have even just had the box replaced and set up by an engineer but this had not solved the problem. We are with BT broadband but when checking g the network is connected the network name is Sky......   anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky q box stops working

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sian275 

Any messages that come up?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Sian275
Topic Author

It is saying there is no power to the box but it is definitely on and the power light is green.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Sian275 

You can ignore the Network name shown in the Q box settings as this is likely to be the Q WiFi mesh name and not necessarily the Network to which it is connected.

Next time you have the Q box Working check that it is on the latest software.  If not update it.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates 

If you still have the issue

Try a Reset Settings in the Q box hidden menu.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

Sian275
Topic Author

We have tried all this and been provided with a new box. 

Could this be an Internet issue rather than the box itself?

This message was authored by LK2019 This message was authored by: LK2019

Hi did you ever get a answer as to why this keeps happening?? I've had this issue now the last month, I've had 2 new boxes as well and still no answer as to why this happens .. very frustrating always having to turn of at the mains power everytime to restart the skyq box  

chris 

This message was authored by Jon_c_h This message was authored by: Jon_c_h

Happens to me , same issue, had three boxes but it never fixes the issue. 

Sian275
Topic Author

We now put the sky box in standby every night orange light and it works every morning now. I don't know if putting it in stand by makes a difference or if it just randomly started working properly again.

This message was authored by richard+TRB This message was authored by: richard+TRB

Hi, had to replace failed q box ever since newbox??? Has to be rebooted daily, recording memory freezes, miniboxes disconnect at random rebootof main box clears faults temporarily. Are the new boxes u/s or does one keep changing until a good one is received??

This message was authored by Jflo12 This message was authored by: Jflo12

Same. It's really frustrating and no one seems to know why.

Sian275
Topic Author

We swit have off the TV and the sky q box goes into standby. We don't have issues at the moment and hope ut stays that way.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion