Discussion topic: Sky Q wires or cables

This message was authored by Dalbir12 This message was authored by: Dalbir12

Sky Q wires or cables

Hi All,

We had a sky engineer visit before for Sky Q but he wanted to throw the wires from the dish over the roof, which we didn't want.

We currently have Sky + HD working with just the free channels.

The wires from the dish currently go into the loft, then parents room and finally living room.

He suggested Sky stream and we tried this but it had channels missing. 

We have bought cables from screwfix and put them in ready for the engineer do you know if these are correct and if the sky engineer is likely to accept these? 

RG6 BLACK 2-CORE SHOTGUN COAXIAL CABLE 

Product code: (981JY)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-rg6-black-2-core-shotgun-coaxial-cable-25m-drum/981jy

Thanks for any help in advance. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

Re: Sky Q wires or cables

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dalbir12   I have attempted to find a comprehensive specification for the exact outer diameter and technical performance of the cable that you mentioned at frequencies around 2 Ghz without any success.

So, to ensure that a completely standard trouble free installation can be performed, I suggest you present your Sky engineer with exactly the same CT63 / WF65 specification shotgun coaxial cable that Sky provide to their installers, as it is readily available from multiple retailers.

This will ensure that the cable that you provide can be accurately stripped with the device issued to Sky installation engineers and then fitted with the standard Sky issue compression F connectors, using the Sky issued compression tool which will have been optimised for use on CT63 / WF65 coaxial cables.

Godfrey.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Is there an issue with the current cabling?  (Assuming it's staying in place)

As converting to Q only requires the LNB to be changed...

AIUI Sky will not normally enter lofts for installations.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Dalbir12
Topic Author

Hi,

Thanks you the reply. 

He looked at the dish from the 90s and said he needs to change the dish and LNB.

The old wire is a single and I think Sky Q needs a double. 

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

@Dalbir12   I have attempted to find a comprehensive specification for the exact outer diameter and technical performance of the cable that you mentioned at frequencies around 2 Ghz without any success.

So, to ensure that a completely standard trouble free installation can be performed, I suggest you present your Sky engineer with exactly the same CT63 / WF65 specification shotgun coaxial cable that Sky provide to their installers, as it is readily available from multiple retailers.

This will ensure that the cable that you provide can be accurately stripped with the device issued to Sky installation engineers and then fitted with the standard Sky issue compression F connectors, using the Sky issued compression tool which will have been optimised for use on CT63 / WF65 coaxial cables.

Godfrey.

Dalbir12
Topic Author

Thanks everyone. 

The engineer said the cables were fine.

Installation happened last Tuesday. 

Everything is working fine. 

Even got an email my price is going up, only just joined.  Lol

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion