Discussion topic: Sky Q box issues

This message was authored by WoodyR98 This message was authored by: WoodyR98

Sky Q box issues

Recently ive started to have problems with my SkyQ box which is a few years old now...

1. Recorded Programmes freeze and the box locks up
  2. Sound drop outs, sometimes every couple of seconds
  3. TV channels suddenly all show only a black screen. (Signal is absolutely fine)
  4. Unable to watch films on sky movies, i try to download to watch but nothing happens. Reset the box and Im able to watch the movie.
  5. A lot of my recordings ~90% are suffering from "Software issue"  which affects the playback in the form of stuttering image, or you cant watch past a certain point (if it would playback at all)

I imagine I need a replacement box unless someone knows how to do a system reset instead? 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q box issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@WoodyR98 wrote:

Recently ive started to have problems with my SkyQ box which is a few years old now...

1. Recorded Programmes freeze and the box locks up
  2. Sound drop outs, sometimes every couple of seconds
  3. TV channels suddenly all show only a black screen. (Signal is absolutely fine)
  4. Unable to watch films on sky movies, i try to download to watch but nothing happens. Reset the box and Im able to watch the movie.
  5. A lot of my recordings ~90% are suffering from "Software issue"  which affects the playback in the form of stuttering image, or you cant watch past a certain point (if it would playback at all)

I imagine I need a replacement box unless someone knows how to do a system reset instead? 

Hi @WoodyR98 

Try a Reset Settings in the Q box hidden menu.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

WoodyR98
Topic Author
This message was authored by WoodyR98 This message was authored by: WoodyR98

Hi. I tried the basic reset which didn't work. I've now done the hard disk reset which might have done the trick. Going to need to use it a bit to test it. 

This message was authored by Mark182004 This message was authored by: Mark182004

@WoodyR98 

Sound drop outs lots of recent posts on this forum regarding this and I think it's linked to the latest software rollout. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion