Discussion topic: Sky Q box crashing & box fan spinning loudly - EE Broadband

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

Re: Sky Q box loud fan unresponsive

Hi

I think I have found the problem but not the permanent solution 

I have changed to EE broadband and all boxes are connected via Ethernet cables

i have seen online that sky q box needs information daily which can not be delivered via Ethernet. I have removed Ethernet cable and so far so good. 

This is surely something that needs resolving. It is also something that EE say they are not aware of or resolving

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

Re: Sky Q box won’t turn on. Amber light on. Fan constantly on.

I am pretty sure it's because I changed my broadband to EE from BT. I run all of my boxes on ethernet. Never happened on BT broadband on Ethernet 

i have disconnected Ethernet to sky q main box. Not had any issues since in 3 days. Was doing it every few hours, at least every day

This message was authored by Jaideep2 This message was authored by: Jaideep2

Hi Mark,

I have the same issue. Charged from BT to EE.

Hi Mark,

Thanks. Have you got the EE Smart Hub Plus Router?

Hi

i just took the Ethernet cable out of my main box and it jumped onto WiFi. The 4 mini boxes are still Ethernet connected

its not a resolution but it seems itworks for now. 

I would like to have it on Ethernet for obvious reasons. As I understand it and I am not in any any expert. There must some necessary regular is coding that is passed by WiFi but not Ethernet. It seems that the lack of it causes box to freeze and fan to run 

Hi

The latest top hub from EE. 

swapped in March. Issue started straight away. Had all sorts of issues with EE in first couple of weeks so didn't tie it up at the time

Hi Mark,

Thats very helpful. I might use the old BT Smart Hub 2 instead of EE Router.

That is what I was using but I had to send it back when I swapped over

be interested to see how it goes

This message was authored by Track+worker This message was authored by: Track+worker

Re: My replacement SKY Q box crashing and whirring overnight

Don't close it

You clearly have an issue with the new EE routers. 

The software needs updating with a new patch and fast

Re: My replacement SKY Q box crashing and whirring overnight

Agreed

this issue is denied by both EE and Sky

I have raised with both 

it needs sorting out

I have had no problems with the EE smart hub plus since I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the main sky q box. The main box runs on WiFi the 4 mini boxes are still connected to Ethernet cables to smart hub via an unmanaged switch.

Its not how I want it but works well so far with no loud fan/unresponsive box issues 🤞

The issue does need resolving as it seems counter intuitive to a stable setup. I networked my house to provide faster connection speeds and more stable sky etc

Sky Q box won’t turn on. Amber light on. Fan constantly on.

I presume your EE router is operating on WiFi 6. 

EE ask me to change the settings in this hub to WiFi 5 from WiFi 6 to prevent landline calls from dropping out. Every morning have to reconnect mini boxes as I have disconnected Ethernet cable from sky q. Two other mini boxes are connected by Ethernet to router directly. Maybe change EE router back to WiFi 6 so stop interference? Not sure if this is a good idea as Sky WiFi max wifi 6 not sold with Sky Q

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @MarkJordan 

A private chat was started but there was no response within 48 hours so it has automatically closed.

If you still need help with this please let us know by posting on the forum again and we will get it escalated through to us.

Thanks
Tom

Hi

@Tom 

I don't need to chat privately thanks

Just need the issue to acknowledged.

sky q box will crash at least daily and needs to power cycled as long as it's connected to EE WiFi6 smart hub plus

Neither Sky or EE seem to want to accept and resolve the issue

It doesn't happen when Sky q main is connected by wifi

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion