Discussion topic: Sky Q Set up in a 20 year old block of flats

This message was authored by KW12345 This message was authored by: KW12345

Sky Q Set up in a 20 year old block of flats

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I recently moved into a block of flats where Sky was already set up to come into the flats. There is a satellite output on the wall to plug the box into. I checked with the building management who said this was the case, then went ahead and ordered Sky Q.

The engineer came to set it up earlier this week, but unfortunately couldn't complete it. He said he needed to access the communal TV cupboard/where the signal came in, and I had no idea where this was. I have tried to contact the building management company, but they also did not know, and the guy who told me he'd look into it is now off sick.

I have been speaking to some other residents of the building who generally seem to run things, and one of them told me this: "Thats not possible. Sky Q wont work, as there is only a single feed to each flat".

Could anyone who is familiar with the install process/undesrstands the issues with getting Sky in a multi-use building like this give me any advice on whether this sounds like it could be correct? The engineer who came said he needed to access the room to install some kind of switch to use Sky Q I believe, and when he read the signal coming out the wall he seemed to say it was fine. He didn't mention anything about there being a single feed or any issues, so I just wanted to ask if anyone could offer any help or advice! I'd rather stick with Sky Q if possible, so I'm trying to exhaust all options before looking into sky stream.

Thank you in advance 🙂

Best Answers
This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

Re: Sky Q Set up in a 20 year old block of flats

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KW12345   The good news is that your Sky MDU trained engineer would appear to have tested the Legacy Universal LNB signals that presently emerge from your communal wall mounted Integrated Reception System installation media plate, and found them to be of suitable level and quality to support the installation of a Unitron dCSS-422 Plug-In Sky Q adaptor within the central IRS distribution cabinet that serves your flat.

So, it would seem that you just have to discover where this cabinet exists within your communal building. Then, with the permission of your landlord and with the provision that this IRS installation is found to be correctly earthed, a Sky MDU trained engineer should be able to install this adaptor in order to provide your new Sky Q receiver with the Single Cable Router (SCR) feed that it requires.

Godfrey.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Hi @KW12345 

A single feed is fine for Sky Q on Communal systems.

I'll tag @Godfrey 

Who I'm sure can give guidance on your issue

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@KW12345 wrote:

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I recently moved into a block of flats where Sky was already set up to come into the flats. There is a satellite output on the wall to plug the box into. I checked with the building management who said this was the case, then went ahead and ordered Sky Q.

The engineer came to set it up earlier this week, but unfortunately couldn't complete it. He said he needed to access the communal TV cupboard/where the signal came in, and I had no idea where this was. I have tried to contact the building management company, but they also did not know, and the guy who told me he'd look into it is now off sick.

I have been speaking to some other residents of the building who generally seem to run things, and one of them told me this: "Thats not possible. Sky Q wont work, as there is only a single feed to each flat".

Could anyone who is familiar with the install process/undesrstands the issues with getting Sky in a multi-use building like this give me any advice on whether this sounds like it could be correct? The engineer who came said he needed to access the room to install some kind of switch to use Sky Q I believe, and when he read the signal coming out the wall he seemed to say it was fine. He didn't mention anything about there being a single feed or any issues, so I just wanted to ask if anyone could offer any help or advice! I'd rather stick with Sky Q if possible, so I'm trying to exhaust all options before looking into sky stream.

Thank you in advance 🙂

hi @KW12345 

It is quite possible that the system in your block of flats is not compatible with SKY Q

In Communal Systems it is quite common to only have a single Satellite feed and SKy Q can work with a single feed but older systems need an 'adapter' being placed in the communal system - hence the request by the SKY engineer to access your Communal System cupboards. 

These adapters use the  legacy universal used by Freesat and older SKY HD boxes into one suitable for SKY Q .

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

@KW12345   The good news is that your Sky MDU trained engineer would appear to have tested the Legacy Universal LNB signals that presently emerge from your communal wall mounted Integrated Reception System installation media plate, and found them to be of suitable level and quality to support the installation of a Unitron dCSS-422 Plug-In Sky Q adaptor within the central IRS distribution cabinet that serves your flat.

So, it would seem that you just have to discover where this cabinet exists within your communal building. Then, with the permission of your landlord and with the provision that this IRS installation is found to be correctly earthed, a Sky MDU trained engineer should be able to install this adaptor in order to provide your new Sky Q receiver with the Single Cable Router (SCR) feed that it requires.

Godfrey.

KW12345
Topic Author
This message was authored by KW12345 This message was authored by: KW12345

Thank you all so much for all the help, especially the detailed explanation @Godfrey! I will hold tight then and wait for the building manager to come back to me on where the main input is, so that they can then give me access and I can get the Sky Engineer to come back and install the required switch.

Cheers! 😊

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion