Discussion topic: Sky Q Mini Boxes are dropping Skq Box connection every few minutes

This message was authored by MumsTechSupport This message was authored by: MumsTechSupport

Sky Q Mini Boxes are dropping Skq Box connection every few minutes

So we've been having issues with the Sky Q setup in the house for some time now, and as a final last resort to fix the issues I recently went and wired up the Sky Q Mini box in my mum's room so that we could have the whole house hard wired instead. Before that the two Mini boxes upstairs where using the Sky Q built-in mesh system, and the Main Q box was wired to the Router for internet connection.

The issue is, that even after hard wiring the entire Sky Q setup in the house, the problem still exists. Both the Mini boxes with suffer from intermittent drop outs of the connectivity to the Main Q box, and give the lovely 'you can't watch tv as there's an issue between this mini box and the sky q box' error at the top of the screen. 

The current internet & network setup consists of an Asus GT-AXE11000 Router downstairs, which is AIMesh connected to an Asus TUF-AX5400 upstairs. The Main Sky Q box is wired to the AXE11000 downstairs, one Mini box upstairs is also through to the AXE11000 via a unmanaged switch, and the second Mini box is wired into the AX5400 upstairs.

For sanity sake I did a signal check for all the Ethernet cables used to connect it all up, nothing wrong there, all good.

I have both the 22.4GHz and 5GHz connections disabled from within the hidden settings menu on all 3 boxes. 

I'm wracking my brain over this trying to see if there is something I've done wrong. I can see on the device list the Sky Q system is reporting the VNIC MAC address to the Router, which shouldn't usually be an issue. They are reporting their device 'type' and 2.4GHz, but as far as I know that is just a visual thing within the device list, it shouldn't cause this sort of instability.

Is this something to do with the network setup, or do I need to get on to customer services and have an engineer come and have a look?

All Replies

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Re: Sky Q Mini Boxes are dropping Skq Box connection every few minutes

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, @MumsTechSupport. I’ve escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this. 

Just look out for the colourful bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

This message was authored by finsdad This message was authored by: finsdad

Hi,

I've got the same problem, ethernet, killed the Sky Mesh, even had a new box to see if it was a problem with the mini-box.  They will get you to check the software version, then the network, then reset the boxes, then rest the router ... I did all that to no avail.  The engineer is coming next Monday to (hopefully) sort it out.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

We are still looking to help you @MumsTechSupport . If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion