Discussion topic: Sky Q Box behaving eratically

This message was authored by richoakuk This message was authored by: richoakuk

Sky Q Box behaving eratically

I have a 2Tb Sky Q Box; recently it has started behaving very eratically. Symptoms include:

• Slow to change channels; often reports "Channel not available due to a technical fault" before eventually kicking in
  • Recordings are failing or only partly recording
  • Mini boxes ar losing connection intermitently
  • Red recording light is on at random times (when not recording)

Wondering if its reaching the end of it's life; a few years old now

Best Answers
This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27 Answer

Re: Sky Q Box behaving eratically

@richoakuk,

Have a read through this and see if any of these methods help in your situation, if not at the bottom of the page there's a link to replace the box 🙂

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/there-is-a-technical-fault-with-this-channel

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@richoakuk 

You could try a reset..

Try a Reset Settings in the hidden menu.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.

Scroll down to Reset
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you may have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.

If still an issue , you could be right that the box is on the way out and you can call Sky to request a replacement.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
richoakuk
Topic Author

Sorry, forgot to say that I'd already done a settings reset as you describe 

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27 Answer

@richoakuk,

Have a read through this and see if any of these methods help in your situation, if not at the bottom of the page there's a link to replace the box 🙂

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/there-is-a-technical-fault-with-this-channel

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
richoakuk
Topic Author

So, I bit the bullet and did a Factory Reset. So far, it has been performing ok since. Thanks everyone for the advice 

This message was authored by Dubzzy This message was authored by: Dubzzy

So, I have the same problem with my Sky Q 2TB box and put up a post to get advice. Did not see this post first. I cant believe we used similiar words and sentaence structure (what are the chances?).

Sorry, but I'm not doing a factory reset.. got too many valuable and top entertainment content on it.

@Richakuk 6 months down the line how is your box behaving?

This message was authored by Dumbarton This message was authored by: Dumbarton

My first post but would like some help if at all possible. I had a Sky Q 2TB box for a number of years without issue. It then started going into what I would describe sounded like overdrive mode, the fan turning loudly and the box failing to activate. Unplugging and restarting resolved the issue.....until it repeatedly occurred. A Sky engineer visit and immediately the box was replaced. Unfortunately, the problem recurred....a new box was sent.....problem recurred....and now another box which, two days on, is displaying the same failures. The box is on a glass shelf, well ventilated and , apart from a CAT6 internet cable, has only the HDMI connection. I am totally perplexed; all Sky offer is a replacement box or an engineer visit.....both of which have already failed to resolve the problems. Any advice?

richoakuk
Topic Author

Unfortunately, the improved performance after resetting didn't last more than a week or so, so I had to get a new box. The new box has worked seamlessly

Rich

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dumbarton wrote:

My first post but would like some help if at all possible. I had a Sky Q 2TB box for a number of years without issue. It then started going into what I would describe sounded like overdrive mode, the fan turning loudly and the box failing to activate. Unplugging and restarting resolved the issue.....until it repeatedly occurred. A Sky engineer visit and immediately the box was replaced. Unfortunately, the problem recurred....a new box was sent.....problem recurred....and now another box which, two days on, is displaying the same failures. The box is on a glass shelf, well ventilated and , apart from a CAT6 internet cable, has only the HDMI connection. I am totally perplexed; all Sky offer is a replacement box or an engineer visit.....both of which have already failed to resolve the problems. Any advice?

@Dumbarton long shot but is the Q box plugged into a 2,3 or 4 way gang socket if not cany you plug it into a different socket  wondering if its something like that as seems strange its now happening on nearly every new box you are receiving

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Dumbarton This message was authored by: Dumbarton

Thanks. It is plugged into an extension lead with four sockets......for tidiness at the back of the tv stand. I will try connecting directly to the mains socket. Not sure about why this might be the cause of the problem, particularly as the first q box worked well in this arrangement for a number of years. Nonetheless, always worth a try!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion