Discussion topic: Sky Q Apps pixelating

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Poor picture quality with apps

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lemans10 wrote:

I am experiencing regular pixelating when watching apps such as Netflix. 
This has been the case for few weeks now but becoming more regular 

how can this be resolved 

@Lemans10 I have moved your post to the large thread all about app pixellation please see the 2nd post on page one the post that is marked as the answer for the current update from Sky

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by KPNutt This message was authored by: KPNutt

Re: Sky Q Apps pixelating

My new HDR enabled SkyQ box has been working faultlessly on all apps since received about 2 weeks ago

will keep you posted if it changes 

This message was authored by Clo6 This message was authored by: Clo6

It's been worse than ever tonight while watching Disney plus  through the sky Q box I'm getting sick of it now it was virtually unwatchable ...im def gonna have to give them a call to complain although it sounds like a complete waste of time 🙄

This message was authored by type-r This message was authored by: type-r

The HDR-enabled Sky Q box definitely seems with brick power supply seems to be resolving the issue for many customers (including myself).

Strange that it takes a hardware upgrade to resolve an issue quicker than fixing the software / encoding issue. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@type-r wrote:

The HDR-enabled Sky Q box definitely seems with brick power supply seems to be resolving the issue for many customers (including myself).

Strange that it takes a hardware upgrade to resolve an issue quicker than fixing the software / encoding issue. 

Which box did you have before?

This message was authored by Macculus This message was authored by: Macculus

@type-r What's the hardware version of your new box? I have an HDR enabled box, hw ver 32B206 and it is pixelating badly. 

@Chodley wrote:

@Chodley The 2016 box (non-HDR) with just straight wire PSU (not the new brick version).

@Macculus Hardware is now: 32B12C

This message was authored by JibbaJoy This message was authored by: JibbaJoy

Mine was 32B061 (integrated PSU) and now 32B106 (HDR & brick PSU) and no artifacts for 6 days, long may it stay so 🤞

SkyQ [H/W:32B106] + 3 mini
Samsung 55" Neo QLED UHD TV
Swish Fibre 150 Symetrical
Linksys MX5400 Mesh network
This message was authored by BB5585 This message was authored by: BB5585

I've had my replacement box 6 days as well with hardware version 32B12D. It has had extensive use over the weekend by several family members. No one has seen the pixellating since it was replaced.

This message was authored by TimAst This message was authored by: TimAst

Any closer to the fix yet?

This message was authored by BB5585 This message was authored by: BB5585

My understanding is that there are 3 hardware versions of the sky q box 

32B0 (internal power supply)

32B1 (external power supply)

32B2 (internal power supply) 

If this is wrong I stand corrected.

I had the problem  with my older 32B0 box which has just been replaced with a 32B1 box. So far this box appears to be okay. I believe someone previously mentioned that they had some success by cooling their box believing it to be a heating problem. Is it possible that a software issue is putting extra load on the power supplies that are internal, which is creating a heat issue, and causing the pixelating. 
For elimination purposes, does anyone have a sky q box with external power supply that has the issue.

This message was authored by IWMC This message was authored by: IWMC

Sky; please provide an update as the progress of the fix for this pixelaton issue.  It is a sky issue to resolve as no other apps for on-demand services pixelate when in use.  This only happens when Netflix is viewed via thesky box.

Resoltion please @Daniel-F 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@type-r wrote:

@Chodley wrote:

@Chodley The 2016 box (non-HDR) with just straight wire PSU (not the new brick version).

@Macculus Hardware is now: 32B12C

Interesting. Mine is a v3 (B2xx) and does exhibit the problem on Prime but nothing else.

@BB5585 wrote:

My understanding is that there are 3 hardware versions of the sky q box 

32B0 (internal power supply)

32B1 (external power supply)

32B2 (internal power supply) 

I had the problem  with my older 32B0 box which has just been replaced with a 32B1 box. So far this box appears to be okay. 

I think you could be onto something. I also went from 32B0 to 32B1 and the pixelating issue stopped for me. Other people with 32B1 have also reported no pixelation issues.  I would hazard a guess that anyone with external PSU's wont see any pixelation. In fact, I now recall the Sky technical team mentioned on the phone to me specifically to return the PSU cable as well as the new one will have an external PSU. He said the "new" unit that will be sent to me seemed to resolve similar issues with other recent Sky users. Didn't think much of it at the time but now thinking about it, I think Sky are aware of the problem and probably what the root cause is (quite possibly as you state, a recent firmware update that is possibly overheating the unit, maybe even the PSU). 

Be interesting to see if people post up their hardware number along with pixelation / no pixelation.

This message was authored by Mattym63 This message was authored by: Mattym63

@type-r my software version is Q270.000.10.02L(5_h193hm)

My hardware is 32B214 and I have the pixelating on all apps on the main SkyQ box, and my mini box has no issues at all.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion