Discussion topic: Screen does not support HDCP - HELP

This message was authored by Arnie This message was authored by: Arnie

Screen does not support HDCP - HELP

Hello, my Sky Q box has been working fine for a while and all of a sudden I have started getting an error message on my TV saying "This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen". 

After a few times trying to turn everything on & off it will start to work however today nothing I do fixes the issue. The HDMI cable was brand new and installed 3 months ago when I put the TV on the wall. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Screen does not support HDCP - HELP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Is the cable hdmi 2.1 / 18gbps certified? How long is it?

Arnie
Topic Author

@Chodley  Hi, it is a sky branded HDMI cable from Amazon, I've had a look at the order and it doesnt tell me if it is that specification or not but i would presume it is, seen as it is sky branded. 

I could try another cable but it is stange this has been working fine before. Could it be an issue with the Sky Q box? 

Not very likely but it could be. There's a load of communication that goes alongside the audio & video via HDMI and any interference or faults in any component along that chain can cause issues like hdcp negotiation to fail.

The higher the transmission speed (4k vs 1080p for example), the more sensitive it is to signal errors.

Arnie
Topic Author

Okay, thanks. I shall try that to see if it will work. 

This message was authored by Mjginwales This message was authored by: Mjginwales

I have the same problem today. I have used a different hdmi cable both 2m. Both working fine as far as I know eg Apple mini To tv in 4K is fine... tv is Sony has latest update. Sky q is 3-4 years old. I get a 2-3 second  flash of the home page when sky is turned on , a black icon for current channel tops lft woth menu showing and then 2-3 seconds later a  blue screen with hdcp error.has the sky graphic card failed?

I have restarted the tv and sky a few times

Arnie
Topic Author

I've come home tonight and the issue has appeared and I've tried 3 different HDMI cables, all with the same issue and don't resolve the problem. 

left the blue screen on and came back about 30mins later, boom...sky working perfectly fine!!! It's working now but very frustrating and likely won't work tomorrow again. 

I'm about to contact sky about it tonight. 

This message was authored by Mjginwales This message was authored by: Mjginwales

This worked for me.  A good 5minutes of everything at wall and off at tv and off at sky, unplugged sky .. works fine now.   was it static?? Hope it does not reoccur

Update for other forum posts

This worked for me.  A good 5minutes of everything at wall and off at tv and off at sky, unplugged sky .. works fine now.   was it static?? Hope it does not reoccur

Arnie
Topic Author

Yeah we've been doing that recently and now and again it'll work after however today it's been at its worst. 

it must be the sky box itself I'm thinking so I'll see what sky say over the phone. 

Worth a try. I've seen people get completely random effects from things like boilers switching on that have caused EM interference but those are very rare indeed.

This message was authored by JodyB This message was authored by: JodyB

My Sky Q box was just installed on Sunday gone, and has been working absolutely fine. Until just now, when it's started showing this HDCP screen. Nothing at all has changed in the vicinity of the box. This is so frustrating!

This message was authored by JodyB This message was authored by: JodyB

Hmm. Forcing a reboot has gotten things working again. But multiple recordings from today all report 'Failed'. Gah.

Arnie
Topic Author

I phoned sky last night and they told me it is a problem with my television. They asked me to check the sky Q box on a different TV to see if the problem still happens. If it does then I've to contact them and they will send me a new box. If the problem doesn't appear, then it looks like I'll need a new TV! I shall let you know how I get on. Frustrating considering my TV is only 3years old. 

@Arnie wrote:

I phoned sky last night and they told me it is a problem with my television. They asked me to check the sky Q box on a different TV to see if the problem still happens. If it does then I've to contact them and they will send me a new box. If the problem doesn't appear, then it looks like I'll need a new TV! I shall let you know how I get on. Frustrating considering my TV is only 3years old. 

There is no way a 3 year old TV doesn't support hdcp 2.2

It's possible, though unlikely in my opinion, that it's faulty.

What model is it?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion