Discussion topic: Screen does not support HDCP - HELP

Arnie
Topic Author
This message was authored by Arnie This message was authored by: Arnie

Re: Screen does not support HDCP - HELP

I can't remember the exact model but it's a Samsung 65" which cost over £1000 so I presume it has everything it needs. Also the sky has been working perfectly fine up to now so it must have been compatible for it to work at all. 

yesterday the problem occurred again, I took the HDMI out the back of the box along with taking the card out as well. This gave us channels 1-5 and when I put the card back in everything worked fine. 

I certainly feel it's a box issue! 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Or cable, I suspect. Or some source of strong EM inteference.

This claims it has some shielding. Might be worth a try. https://amzn.eu/d/6cOqrMx

This message was authored by Kerryloupop This message was authored by: Kerryloupop

This is happening to us tonight. 
tv is only 3 years old. Tried different hdmi cables. So frustrating 

This message was authored by JodyB This message was authored by: JodyB

So, fingers crossed 🤞🏼 but since hitting this last Thursday it's all been fine for me since. Gonna hope it's just a momentary glitch, and hopefully everyone else also finds the same.

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

I've been getting the same message as well from my Sky Q box a few times over the last couple of weeks. Nothing has changed apart from my tv. 

Arnie
Topic Author

So I've tried connecting my Sky Q box into another TV and it's working absolutely fine!! Therefore must be a fault with the TV or the 3 HDMI cables I have in the wall! I'm going to remove the TV from the wall and try using the HDMI cable I've used for the smaller TV. 

I've searched the issue on Samsung website and a few people recommend buying a HDMI splitter to see if that helps. 

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Arnie wrote:

So I've tried connecting my Sky Q box into another TV and it's working absolutely fine!! Therefore must be a fault with the TV or the 3 HDMI cables I have in the wall! I'm going to remove the TV from the wall and try using the HDMI cable I've used for the smaller TV. 

I've searched the issue on Samsung website and a few people recommend buying a HDMI splitter to see if that helps. 

Sky HD and Q boxes have had a long history of HDCP issues with Samsung TV's going back as far as 2006. It's the main reason I stopped buy Samsung TVs because it was so much hastle having spates of "This screen doesn't support HDCP" randomly occuring all the time.

I'm still convinced it' s a Samsung issue because I had the problem on 5 different models over the years I've had Sky+HD then Sky Q.

@simon194 wrote:

@Arnie wrote:

Sky HD and Q boxes have had a long history of HDCP issues with Samsung TV's going back as far as 2006. It's the main reason I stopped buy Samsung TVs because it was so much hastle having spates of "This screen doesn't support HDCP" randomly occuring all the time.

I'm still convinced it' s a Samsung issue because I had the problem on 5 different models over the years I've had Sky+HD then Sky Q.

Interestingly I have an LG tv and it only started after I got the tv. Hopefully the next firmware update will fix it. 

Arnie
Topic Author

My TV is Samsung UE58RU7100KXXU. I have ordered a HDMI splitter which is due for delivery today or tomorrow. If that doesnt work I fear I might have to purchase a new TV!! 

Arnie
Topic Author

UPDATE: So last night I took my TV off the wall so I could play about with the HDMI cables/ports. I tried the exact same cable that worked perfectly fine for my smaller TV and the only HDMI port which worked was HDMI 1. I used to have my amazon firestick in this port so I've re-located that into HDMI 3. I then plugged one of the original HDMI cables (located in the wall) into HDMI port 1 and back into the Sky Q box and it has been working perfectly fine. Even this morning, no problems at all, everything came back on as normal. 

Very strange but it seems just changing the HDMI port has worked. I tried the other ports again and these also started to work!!! So I have no idea what or how it has cured the issue but I'm not complaining, hopefully that is the end of it all. 

This message was authored by Martin19871952 This message was authored by: Martin19871952

Ok, It seems we have the problem too.

'This screen dues not support HDCP Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen'

Had a television engineer out to check my system and he thought it was the Sky minibox. Ok got a new Sky minibox and same problem. Rebooted TV no effect. Different HDMI cable no effect. there is no obvious solution. Up to now was working perfectly since installation. sitting it out, no effect. I'm at a loss to work out what to try next or have I missed something when I installed the new Minibox (and Cables). Guess it will be a Sky engineer then.

This message was authored by Mjginwales This message was authored by: Mjginwales

I never called the engineer.   Simply unplugging the TV and the sky box from mains (remove the plugs from wall)  and removing power lead from back of sky box and walking away a good 5-10 minutes before reconnecting and re powering was an instant cure.   Nothing to do with the hdmi leads that had sheets worked.    Send it is static affecting electrical signals.  Been fine for 2 weeks.  

Arnie
Topic Author

Unfortauntely I didnt find a solution. My Sky box works perfectly with two other TV's in my house so it was obviously a problem with my main and most expensive one!! The TV smart features still work so I have moved that upstairs and have connected a smaller TV in the living room to the sky box. New TV will have to be purchased over Xmas. Looking online, the problem is consistent with Samsung TV's so I shall avoid buying these in future.  

This message was authored by Martin19871952 This message was authored by: Martin19871952

OK I've tried everything, including an expensive TV engineer who could  not find the problem. It is not the Sky Q Mini Box, Which I had relaced. My TV is a SAMSUNG T32E310EX about 7 years old. There are many reports of this problem earliest 2020. The chip(s) that control the HDMI ports are obviously flawed, both HDMI ports dead as a Dodo. Many reports of some being coaxed back to life,( my experience too) but ultimately they fail. I'm sure SAMSUNG are aware of this but are saying nothing. Expecting arrival of TV replacement but not SAMSUNG! Thanks @Arnie for your views.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Martin19871952 wrote:

OK I've tried everything, including an expensive TV engineer who could  not find the problem. It is not the Sky Q Mini Box, Which I had relaced. My TV is a SAMSUNG T32E310EX about 7 years old. There are many reports of this problem earliest 2020. The chip(s) that control the HDMI ports are obviously flawed, both HDMI ports dead as a Dodo. Many reports of some being coaxed back to life,( my experience too) but ultimately they fail. I'm sure SAMSUNG are aware of this but are saying nothing. Expecting arrival of TV replacement but not SAMSUNG! Thanks @Arnie for your views.

Has anyone tried asking samsung direct?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion