Discussion topic: Paramount Plus Buffering

This message was authored by GlennisJ This message was authored by: GlennisJ

Paramount Plus Buffering

Paramount Plus buffers far to often and when it does, the screen dims and the age restriction banner appears (Star Trek SNW).  Completely spoils all programs. All other apps are fine. My download speed averages over 60 Mb. Why is Paramount Plus so poor. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Re: Paramount Plus Buffering

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @GlennisJ 

Your post has been escalated to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the chat bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by Dweeber This message was authored by: Dweeber

I am suffering the same issues, I have updated software, reregistered, but this is spoiling what is a fantastic platform please help.

Many thanks 

Kev

GlennisJ
Topic Author

Took some time but finally persuaded Sky that the problem is Paramount's streaming speed not the equipment in my house. They say they will work with Paramount to improve this. Hands up all those that believe it. Two series of Star Trek SNW ruined so far. We'll done guys. 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@GlennisJ wrote:

Took some time but finally persuaded Sky that the problem is Paramount's streaming speed not the equipment in my house. They say they will work with Paramount to improve this. Hands up all those that believe it. Two series of Star Trek SNW ruined so far. We'll done guys. 

It's got nothing to do with 'Paramount's streaming speed' - it's to do with the fact that Sky's apps are hosted on a server, not stored on the Q box itself. This adds extra latency to what's already a slow and under-powered box for streaming apps. The Q box was designed first and foremost as a satellite PVR which it works extremely well for - the hosting of apps on it was always secondary. 

If you want a smooth Paramount+ experience then you need to use the app on a different platform which is more dedicated to streaming. An Amazon Firestick, a Roku Streaming stick, or an Apple TV box for example, all will run Paramount+ and a whole host of other apps not on Sky's platform without any fuss. 

Sky advertises as having everything in one place, easy. Which in some sense it does. You can get a much better streaming experience using better hardware from other sources though. 

This message was authored by nskinner This message was authored by: nskinner

It's definitely a P+ issue and not a Sky issue.

I've tried various permutations of Sky, P+, Ethernet and wi-fi, various TVs, laptop and phone  They all buffer P+ and that's on full fibre.

ive found It's actually slightly better through Sky than direct through the P+ app.

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@GlennisJ wrote:

It's got nothing to do with 'Paramount's streaming speed' - it's to do with the fact that Sky's apps are hosted on a server, not stored on the Q box itself. This adds extra latency to what's already a slow and under-powered box for streaming apps. The Q box was designed first and foremost as a satellite PVR which it works extremely well for - the hosting of apps on it was always secondary. 

If you want a smooth Paramount+ experience then you need to use the app on a different platform which is more dedicated to streaming. An Amazon Firestick, a Roku Streaming stick, or an Apple TV box for example, all will run Paramount+ and a whole host of other apps not on Sky's platform without any fuss. 

Sky advertises as having everything in one place, easy. Which in some sense it does. You can get a much better streaming experience using better hardware from other sources though. 

Some have the issue some don't I watched Dungeons and Dragons via P+ app on Sky Q box without any issues 

This message was authored by Josh182 This message was authored by: Josh182

@GlennisJthanks for posting this, it's happening to me too and driving me nuts. And yes, it's only Paramount Plus that it happens on - or at least that's the only one I notice because of the irritating dimming behaviour. Not sure why they thought that was a good design choice.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I know this doesn't help those of you that have the buffering issue, but I've never experienced it, not even when watching STSNW.  I only have BT FTTC and get around 23Mbps, with the Sky Q linked via WiFi.  I only posted this to show that P+ can work successfully via the Sky app, so must be very frustrating for those of you that it doesn't 

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by User+1 This message was authored by: User+1

Same problem, tried watching dungeons and dragons movie.. totally ruined it.

This message was authored by Neilyqwe This message was authored by: Neilyqwe

Just tried to watch the last episode of lioness and it was a total waste of time constant buffering despite my q box  being hard wired and getting well over 200mb per second. Absolute joke.

This message was authored by Dohrider This message was authored by: Dohrider

I'm also suffering from this issue, on shows such as STSNW and films like Lost City, running on 120M Virgin, so unlikely to be my broadband. No other apps suffer from this issue. 

GlennisJ
Topic Author

Dear Tom, why have Sky done nothing about Paramount Plus buffering. Enough people have complained. You said someone would be in touch. They haven't. Paramount is unwatchable. 

This message was authored by Sigh-Man This message was authored by: Sigh-Man

Adding my name as another SkyQ suffering from this problem. SkyQ box is connected via Ethernet to 400mbps. Perversely there's no problem with P+ on an AppleTV box connected via Wi-Fi repeaters.  

Currently thinking of kicking Sky to the curb come renewal based on this and SkyQ Mini constantly losing connection (despite being hardwired)

This message was authored by HCW59 This message was authored by: HCW59

Mine is also constantly buffering, dimming  and the age banner coming up. 

Just registered for it, watched 5 minutes of Top Gun and turned it off...no wonder sky's giving it away free !

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion