Discussion topic: Mini box constantly disconnecting

This message was authored by Westw00d This message was authored by: Westw00d

Mini box constantly disconnecting

Hi, I've had to join up as I'm at whits end with our sky q. 
Our mini boxes keep loosing connection to out main box. Will have picture and sound for 10secs to maybe a minute then drops out for no reason. Then comes back on and does the same thing.

We've tried resetting all the boxes, broadband. checked and updated the boxes. Tried mini boxes in different locations (previously work fine) 

many help? 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Mini box constantly disconnecting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Westw00d wrote:

Hi, I've had to join up as I'm at whits end with our sky q. 
Our mini boxes keep loosing connection to out main box. Will have picture and sound for 10secs to maybe a minute then drops out for no reason. Then comes back on and does the same thing.

We've tried resetting all the boxes, broadband. checked and updated the boxes. Tried mini boxes in different locations (previously work fine) 

many help? 

Hi @Westw00d 

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the mini.
To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

Reboot the mini as above.
If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

If you are on Sky Broadband and the Router is nearer to the mini than the main box then you can try pressing WPS on the router instead of the main Q box. If you do this make sure you press the Sky router WPS button and not the router reset button.

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between your main Q box and the mini and you will need to contact Sky directly.

Westw00d
Topic Author
This message was authored by Westw00d This message was authored by: Westw00d

Hi @oldfella 

I've tried that reset/start up procedure. It's been progressivly getting worst for the last month. Nothings changed in the house. So not sure what's going on. Wether it's the broadband router signal starting to degrade maybe? How would I contact sky for a booster? 

Many Thanks

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Westw00d wrote:

Hi @oldfella 

I've tried that reset/start up procedure. It's been progressivly getting worst for the last month. Nothings changed in the house. So not sure what's going on. Wether it's the broadband router signal starting to degrade maybe? How would I contact sky for a booster? 

Many Thanks

Hi @Westw00d 

If you need to contact them you need to persevere by phone.
To contact Sky
Select Need more help
at the bottom of the following link and this will lead to a phone contact.
Ignore all automated messages and wait for an agent
https://www.sky.com/help/home

This message was authored by little.drummerboy This message was authored by: little.drummerboy

This is also driving me mad!!

I have my mini box hard wired into my router and have switched off wireless via the engineer menu, but this does not matter, it happens ten times a day. 
been a sky customer for 25 years and getting no help at all. 
so many better tv options available to me and I have them all and wonder why I continue to stay with sky, given that it is THE ONLY SERVICE that I have issues with. 

This message was authored by Diz89 This message was authored by: Diz89

I'm also having this issue - it's so frustrating.

The reboot advice is not helpful. You can do this and 5mins later "live tv not available".

i have even replaced both boxes now and still having the issue. 
Weirdly never happens when using apps...?

clearly a bug in software update Sky urgently needs to investigate and fix. 
I'm the same as other commenter, wondering why I remain a customer when I can't watch Sky.... 

This message was authored by little.drummerboy This message was authored by: little.drummerboy

So - got hold of an engineer on the phone and he went through EVERYTHING that could possibly be wrong and ended up looking at my HD space. 
went into Deleted programs and there were hundreds that hadn't been purported and my HD was at more than 85% capacity, which he said was a problem. 
I purged everything in the deleted folder, taking the HD back to around 40% full and rebooted my three boxes and worked like brand new with no issues at all........ For about 2 weeks and then started happening again. Another purge of the HD and it's ok. 
maybe worth trying that, although IMHO it really shouldn't be connected to the HD, should it?!

Anyone from Sky, care to comment?

Obvs not 'purported' - meant 'purged'. 
bloody iPhone !! 🤪

This message was authored by nstokes This message was authored by: nstokes

I also have been having this same issue for a while now.  I have had the mian Q box replaced and same issue.  I have tried with Wifi on both Q box and the mini, same issue.  I have the Q box and the mioni connected via home plugs and turned the wifi off on both boxesa but issue is still happening..  It is drving me crazy and tbh its making watching TV via the mini in the bedroom unwatchable.  I had the issue when i was on Sky broadband and i am now with another ISA and so got a different router, but it still happens.  This is defo a Sky issue as no idea what else can be casusing the issue.  They need to fix it.

Sky Q 2TB, 2 x Sky Q mini
This message was authored by DJB-BYG This message was authored by: DJB-BYG

Tried rebooting etc of sky Q mini Bix. Without success. Swapped HDMI cable in case itvqas faulty...no success. So tried deleted recorded programmes.  This reduced the number of disconnects from every few minutes to about every 15 minutes...

But still very frustrating. 

I will delete whatever we don't feel we need. Then try all the reboot and reset ideas already noted above.

This message was authored by DJB-BYG This message was authored by: DJB-BYG

Further to my earlier comment.

Wilst trying to minimise my frustration,  my sky installation suffered a " technical fault", my sky box or sky Q mini boxes would not respond. Powered off main sky box by pulling out the power cable from rear and waited a couple minutes then re connected the power. Followed the instructions on the screen, and hey presto my sky TV service had returned. Checked my q mini boxes and they also work without disconnecting...I can't take the credit. But whatever caused the technical fault seems to have fixed the problem.

This message was authored by Pepper123 This message was authored by: Pepper123

Hi there, 

I am in the same position. The mini box constantly works for abou 10/15 seconds then goes off. I am at the end of my tether with it. I have and pay for sky q mini box in the bedroom. 
I have had two technicians call to my home already. No improvement. This issue has been ongoing for over 5 weeks and a technician is FINALLY to call out tomorrow after a 10 working day wait. 
Rebooting sky q box and mini box makes no difference. I have been with sky for well over 30yrs. I'm astonished as to why this issue hasn't been rectified. 

I have even had new broadband installed. All to no avail. The issue is definitely with Sky. My other devices work perfectly well so the internet is not

dropping Sky connection is.

Sry about the long post but I am irate over this issue after 5 weeks.

This message was authored by ChristopherD72 This message was authored by: ChristopherD72

I have been having a similar problem since Sky Engineers came to fix a different problem in September.

Sky Q and mini box both connected to router via ethernet. Sky mini is connected fine, then multiple times per day it will lose connection to the main  box for 5-10 seconds (get the blue techincal issue screen) then come back on. This could happen multiple times an hour or sometimes only once or twice per day. But it does happen everyday.

I have spoken to Sky numerous times and they have got me to change various settings and reset router etc. The problem is still happening.

Can someone from Sky explain why?

This message was authored by Pepper123 This message was authored by: Pepper123

Please can someone from sky reply and explain what the problem is. My engineer did come the next day and took over 2 hours before he eventually got it working. Now I am experiencing exactly the same thing as the customer above responded. It's just not good enough @Sky please respond with some explanation 

Even after my hard drive purge and the short term improvement, this fault happens MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY ON BOTH MINI BOXES despite being hardwired. 
My VirginMedia 1Gb broadband performs faultlessly and nothing else in my house (Echos, Hue, Sonos, Xboxes, Tablets and PC's) is affected. 
it is definitely a Sky issue and they simply don't care or even acknowledge that this their problem or offer any permanent fix for it. 
I'm struggling to find a reason to stay with them after 27 years of loyalty. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion