Discussion topic: Flickering UHD Sky channels

This message was authored by Julian+Anthony This message was authored by: Julian+Anthony

Flickering UHD Sky channels

The TV screen flashes or flickers every now and then only when watching Sky UHD channels - very annoying.

There is clearly.a problem with the Sky box, everything else is set up correctly and works with other UHD sources well.

I have read discussion of this problem before, but I have not seen any solutions other than replacing the Q2TB box. Is there a less drastic solution that anybody is aware of please?

Does anybody know why it happens or what causes it? It looks like the UHD or HDR perhaps, just stops for a tenth of a second or so. I can't think why a box designed to cope with UHD should be unable to do so?

Any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Julian

All Replies

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Re: Flickering UHD Sky channels

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Julian+Anthony wrote:

The TV screen flashes or flickers every now and then only when watching Sky UHD channels - very annoying.

There is clearly.a problem with the Sky box, everything else is set up correctly and works with other UHD sources well.

I have read discussion of this problem before, but I have not seen any solutions other than replacing the Q2TB box. Is there a less drastic solution that anybody is aware of please?

Does anybody know why it happens or what causes it? It looks like the UHD or HDR perhaps, just stops for a tenth of a second or so. I can't think why a box designed to cope with UHD should be unable to do so?

Regards,

Julian

@Julian+Anthony not really noticed it to tell you the truth watched F1 weeked in UHD without issues Sky Q 2TB issued 2016

Would have watched the Liverpool v Manu in glorious UHD but was happy to watch in HD considering the score forgot to change over lol

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

What HDMI cable are you using?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Julian+Anthony wrote:

Regards,

Julian

@Julian+Anthony it's not always a problem with the Sky Q box years ago a few different TV's makes and models had a similiar problem and it was solved by a software/firmware update to the TV's provided by the TV makers.

Last year certain models of LG TV's had a problem which was found to be a change in the chips used in the TV's again LG releasew a software/firmware upgrade which sorted the problems 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
Julian+Anthony
Topic Author
This message was authored by Julian+Anthony This message was authored by: Julian+Anthony

HDMI cable is a good thought. I bought a new 4k 0.5m cable, but I can try some others to see if that makes a difference. 

Thanks,

Julian

This message was authored by bonkersrwj This message was authored by: bonkersrwj

Did you get the issue fixed at all, in the end?

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

There is clearly a problem with quality control with some Sky UHD content. I've seen very bad flickering with The Blacklist and also Gangs Of London. I had it on Sky Q and now on Sky Stream and it is replicated on 3 different tvs. It is extremely distracting. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion