Discussion topic: Does a Sky Q (Multiscreen) work OK when using a non Sky broadband provider.

This message was authored by DaHoov This message was authored by: DaHoov

Does a Sky Q (Multiscreen) work OK when using a non Sky broadband provider.

Hi, I am thinking of getting multiscreen to allow my Sky Q recordings  to be watched on another TV upstairs.

My Sky Q box is  a newer 1TB UHD model and I understand that the mini boxes will not play UHD which is OK as we can record on the normal HD channels if needed. 

I was wondering if the WiFi Network set up between the Sky Q box and the Mini box is separate  to the main  WiFi network when Sky is not providing the Broadband  and router and whether this causes problems for people.

Thank you.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Does a Sky Q (Multiscreen) work OK when using a non Sky broadband provider.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DaHoov wrote:

Hi, I am thinking of getting multiscreen to allow my Sky Q recordings  to be watched on another TV upstairs.
My Sky Q box is  a newer 1TB UHD model and I understand that the mini boxes will not play UHD which is OK as we can record on the normal HD channels if needed. 
I was wondering if the WiFi Network set up between the Sky Q box and the Mini box is separate  to the main  WiFi network when Sky is not providing the Broadband  and router and whether this causes problems for people.
Thank you.

Hi @DaHoov 

On 3rd Party broadband the minis if using WiFi connect to the WiFi mesh generated by the main Q box and not to your router Network.

Issues depend on distance and obstacles between the Q boxes .

Sky will provide Sky Q Boosters if necessary to locate between the main Q box and the mini to aid connection.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@DaHoov wrote:

Thank you.

Hi @DaHoov 

On 3rd Party broadband the minis if using WiFi connect to the WiFi mesh generated by the main Q box and not to your router Network.

Issues depend on distance and obstacles between the Q boxes .

Sky will provide Sky Q Boosters if necessary to locate between the main Q box and the mini to aid connection.

DaHoov
Topic Author

Thank you for your quick response @oldfella .

It sounds like that will be fine then in my case as the bedroom is above the Sky Q box so connectivity for the  mesh it creates via its own wifi should be good.

Cheers

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

In theory it should be fine

In reality loads of people have problems and some end up using powerlines, wifi mesh nodes hardwired to the boxes or direct ethernet.

It is by far the most popular topic on here.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Chodley wrote:

In theory it should be fine

In reality loads of people have problems and some end up using powerlines, wifi mesh nodes hardwired to the boxes or direct ethernet.

It is by far the most popular topic on here.

Whilst we do get lots of people reporting problems on here, we must not forget the silent majority who don't get problems.

Groups like these will always highlight those with problems usually giving a biased view  

I admit I had initial problems during the first 2 weeks with drop outs particularly in the late evenings - I am not 100% sure if SKY did a remote  tweak or just switching off wifi on the AV amp it was sitting on top of & also moving the mini slightly to one side cured the problem but after I have only ever had a a hadndful of minor problems in 7 1/2 years  

Even for those with problems, I think in many circumstances minor tweaks to location and sources of interference can significantly help

Honestly I reckon what we see here are just those who happen to find this place. I bet there are plenty more who give up or call sky.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chodley 

Of course, but with many millions of households using Q a very small percentage of issues overall is still a very large number of unhappy individual users.

99% complete success for a million subscriptions leaves ten thousand problems: that's always a downside of operating at scale.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
DaHoov
Topic Author

I work work in technical support for a software company and we tend to go with the ratio that for each issue we get there are about 26 others who have the same problem and don't complain.

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Chodley 

Of course, but with many millions of households using Q a very small percentage of issues overall is still a very large number of unhappy individual users.

99% complete success for a million subscriptions leaves ten thousand problems: that's always a downside of operating at scale.

Indeed

and I have been using wifi since it was invented with wacky 3com PCMCIA cards on laptops and have never seen anything screw it up like Sky Q does.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion