Discussion topic: Another Sky rip off

This message was authored by Lgoona This message was authored by: Lgoona

Another Sky rip off

Been a loyal customer for 16 years taken the increases and not being looked after like new customers. I have the full package and broadband.

Want UHD that I have on my TV with Prime/Netflix etc to be told I have a basic Q box and have to pay £99 to upgrade the box!! I can't have Sky Stream or Glass as the broadband supplied by sky isn't good enough (which is free with them) I have called retentions as in so fed up to be told there is nothing they can do. So for £99 they are happy to lose 16 years of business at over £100 a month. Shocking customer loyalty service 

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Another Sky rip off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yup, everyone has to pay to upgrade the capabilities of their box.  £99 is the going rate.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Lgoona
Topic Author

So even though I pay top dollar the equipment provided is sub standard and I can't use stream or glass as the broadband they supply isn't good enough to run it? It's insane 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@Lgoona wrote:

So even though I pay top dollar the equipment provided is sub standard and I can't use stream or glass as the broadband they supply isn't good enough to run it? It's insane 

@Lgoona The equipment supplied isn't sub standard, just like most equipment nowadays there are different versions and if you want one that supplies all content you have to pay for that.

When it comes to broadband thats a little different as its out of Sky's hands as to what they can supply, they can only offfer the speeds that the infastructure provided by Openreach can supply.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Lgoona wrote:

Perhaps it's insane but if you want a UHD/HDR box then you'll have to pay the £99.  (More insane that you don't actually own it either!)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lgoona wrote:

So even though I pay top dollar the equipment provided is sub standard

The default main Sky Q box since late 2019 has been capable of UHD/HDR.  Prior to then, all 2TB models could do UHD but the cheaper 1TB could not.

and I can't use stream or glass as the broadband they supply isn't good enough to run it? 

If you are on a copper connection too far from the fibre cabinet to work for Glass/Stream then no other Openreach ISP could supply anything better.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Lgoona
Topic Author

Exactly, pay £100 for it but you don't own it.....if you are a sky platinum VIP it should be a factor imo

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Lgoona 

VIP status has no relevance in these circumstances. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@Lgoona wrote:

Exactly, pay £100 for it but you don't own it.....if you are a sky platinum VIP it should be a factor imo

Financially you are better off not owning it as the cost to purchase a replacement SkyQ box if it fails is much greater.

This message was authored by Roger17 This message was authored by: Roger17

@Lgoona Its just another one of skys ways of making money, Pay for HD, Pay for UHD, pay for multiroom, and if you want HDR and been with Q from the start that will be £99 thank you. It wouldnt be too bad if the base package was cheap, but thats no longer the case. I recently left after 25 years and do not miss it one bit, there are so many legal alternatives out there without having to sign up with Sky, Virgin or any of the other bundle providers.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Lgoona 

If your current box is faulty in any way then you can ask for it to be replaced free of charge. 

Whilst you are supposed to get a like for like replacement, this is frequently not the case. You may end up with a UHD/HDR capable box. This happened to me when I had Q - I got a shiny new v3 box free of charge. No upgrade fee necessary.  

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Roger17 wrote:

Its just another one of skys ways of making money, 

Which is actually the point of being in business, of course, otherwise Comcast stockholders would be rightfully upset...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Roger17 This message was authored by: Roger17

@TimmyBGood I didn't say Sky was not in business to make money, its the way they do it. I was unhappy with the constant price rises and little add ons for very little value and the non transpancery of thier pricing structure. The same programing can be got at a fraction of the cost legally for what Sky charge, , if you and are prepard to pay that price thats up to you. As time goes on and Skys non sport content reduces, and they lose exclusive rights to HBO in the UK next year, they will have very little to offer apart fom a bundled package that can be got in parts elsewhere for a lot less. I suppose its a bit like booking a holiday yourself or taking a package, if you are prepared to put everything together yourself you save alot of money if  you are not you pay the going rate. My monthly bill has reduced from £150 with Sky including 70MB Broadband  to £45 including 500MB Fibre with no in contract price rises. Perhaps £105 a month is nothing to you but it certainly is to me.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion