Discussion topic: Spouse passed away, Sky won't cancel phone contract

This message was authored by Olympus This message was authored by: Olympus

Spouse passed away, Sky won't cancel phone contract

I bought my wife a Samsung Galaxy Flip 5 for Christmas, on my Sky Mobile Account. Sadly, she has passed away and Sky won't allow me to cancel the contract because it's in my name. I'm stuck paying £31 a month for a phone I don't want. Can they get away with this?

Best Answers
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

Re: Spouse passed away, Sky won't cancel phone contract

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Olympus  sorry for your loss but unfortunately as the contract is in your name and not your wife's they can hold you to the contract I'm afraid 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

@Olympus  sorry for your loss but unfortunately as the contract is in your name and not your wife's they can hold you to the contract I'm afraid 

Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Sorry for your loss @Olympus 

Have you spoken to Sky about this so that the account can be changed to your name as per this:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/deceased-sky-account-holder

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@caesarome  The op is already the account holder, they wanted to cancel the phone but because it's not in the wife's name sky are refusing to allow cancellation which is within their rights to do so 

Olympus
Topic Author

Thanks for the replies. Certainly within their rights but as a Sky customer for 23 years, I'd have thought a bit of give and take would have been allowed.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Yes I misread the OPs opening post.

Sky are within their rights to not let you cancel as who your purchased it for doesn't come into it I'm afraid.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Olympus wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Certainly within their rights but as a Sky customer for 23 years, I'd have thought a bit of give and take would have been allowed.

They can use their discretion but aren't obligated to as you have unfortunately discovered 

This message was authored by nataliemary This message was authored by: nataliemary

Sorry to hear - shame on Sky if they don't cancel. 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@nataliemary wrote:

Sorry to hear - shame on Sky if they don't cancel. 

@nataliemary Sky have no reason to be ashamed at all, no provider would cancel a credit agreement in these circumstances, they would only do so if the agreement was in the name of the person who has sadly passed away.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by nataliemary This message was authored by: nataliemary

Why would you go out of your way to say that? There has to be a reason why you would give up your time to say that?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@nataliemary 

Unsympathetic as Skys response may sound under the circumstances I'm afraid it's correct. 

Edited to reflect my post is about Skys response not the post from @daveNOS 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@nataliemary i said what I said because it's the facts, it in no way helps the OP when you try to shame a company that isn't in the wrong.

You may consider my post unsympathetic if you want to but it's not intended to be that way, it's just stating facts.

And before you head down the road I fully expect you to, I probably understand more than most as to what the OP is going through(I lost my fiance and unborn child not to long ago) , and I wouldn't want people to get my hopes up over something that isn't going to happen at such a difficult time. 

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by Daniel.a04 This message was authored by: Daniel.a04

Hi @Olympus ,

Unfortunately, as you signed the contract terms in your own name, Sky are within their rights to not cancel and waive early disconnection fees/further payments.

If you cancel your data plan before the end of your minimum term, early termination charges will apply.

If there’s still an amount left to pay for your device, you'll need to pay it off or your monthly repayments will carry on. Alternatively, if you don’t want to keep the device, you can return the device and Sky will give you an amount for it to go towards paying off what’s left.

You can find more information regarding how to cancel here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancelling-sky-mobile .

Regards,

Daniel. 

-*-*-*-*-Not a Sky Employee-*-*-*-*-
If you found my answer helpful, click the like button!
Olympus
Topic Author

Thanks for all the responses. I get that I signed a contract but had no idea my wife would pass away. The bottom line is that I need £31 a month much more than Sky does.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

We understand what you're saying @Olympus but unfortunately Sky are well within their rights to do this. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion