Discussion topic: Unable to access the My5 app

This message was authored by MisterM18 This message was authored by: MisterM18

Unable to access the My5 app

New to Sky Glass so please bear with......

I have a few channel 5 programmes which I have added to my Playlist. Some show as 5HD episodes and others show as My5 episodes. I can select and play those which show as 5HD episodes without any issues but when I try to select any which show as My5 episodes, I cannot access the episode selected.

When I select any My5 episodes, sometimes the My5 app opens on their homepage but not on the episode that I have selected? Other times, I get the Simba mattress advert who I assume are My5’s advertisement sponsors and once the advert ends, all I see is a black screen. I have also had a message asking me to verify if I am over or under the age of 16 and when I select that I am over i just get an orange circular buffering icon which remains on screen indefinitely until I abort it.

I did contact Sky yesterday. They asked me to remove all My5 programmes out of my Playlist. We then Refreshed apps in Settings>System Management>Resets & updates and added a My5 programme back into my Playlist. The same thing happened.

I also unplugged the TV from its power source, left it for a minute and plugged it back in again. We then went through the above procedure again and the same thing happened.   

Sky then updated the software on my Sky Glass TV. We then went through the above procedure again and the same thing happened. I was on the phone for about an hour and this eventually ended up with the matter being transferred to another department so they could review it.          

I did receive a text message earlier from Sky which said their support team are aware of an issue and are working on a fix which should be resolved over the coming days but  I wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same issues with My5 or if it was just me?

===========================================

65" Sky Glass in Anthracite & 145 Mbps Ultrafast Broadband

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Unable to access the My5 app

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MisterM18 it is not just you we do see other reports. Sky will be working with Ch5 on getting this resolved.  Glass can access programming from multiple broadcasters and works well with everything most of the time. However occasionally a change to one of the third party apps causes issues as in this case. Over the years these incidents have become much rarer.

In this case the cause is likely to be the  switch from where ch5 programming in playlists cloud recorded on Sky's servers to drawing them from the My 5 app hasn't been set up properly.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MisterM18
Topic Author

Thankyou for your reply @Chrisee

If I am understanding it correctly then, what you are saying is that every Sky Glass customer will currently be unable to access the My5 app? 

And that will be the situation for everyone until Sky have completed properly setting-up the switching from where ch5 programming in playlists cloud recorded on Sky's servers to drawing them from the My 5 app?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MisterM18 no just some content is reportingincorrectly that it will be cloud recorded rather than drawn from the app it is likely to be some titles but certainly not all.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MisterM18
Topic Author

I originally reported the issue that I am experiencing with accessing content on the My5 app to Sky on 18th June 2024.

I have just 'refreshed apps' in Settings>System Management>Resets & updates but the same issue still exists.

I have also disconnected my TV from its power source, left it for ten minutes and reconnected it, 'refreshed apps' again in Settings>System Management>Resets & updates but the same issue still exists. 

If there is anyone from Sky on here, can you please advise me if there is any update regarding this or if I need to ring back in again? Thanks.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@MisterM18 wrote:

I originally reported the issue that I am experiencing with accessing content on the My5 app to Sky on 18th June 2024.

I have just 'refreshed apps' in Settings>System Management>Resets & updates but the same issue still exists.

I have also disconnected my TV from its power source, left it for ten minutes and reconnected it, 'refreshed apps' again in Settings>System Management>Resets & updates but the same issue still exists. 

If there is anyone from Sky on here, can you please advise me if there is any update regarding this or if I need to ring back in again? Thanks.

It sounds like it's localised to you and isn't affecting others, otherwise there would be many people complaining about it on here. 

It's one of the key problems with Sky's decision to host all third party apps on their own server, not on the streaming device itself. Whenever there is an issue with the app or the server, the customer has not control over it and cannot delete and re-install the app themself, the normal procedure for fixing such errors on most other streaming devices.

All you can do really is ring Sky again and ask for further troubleshooting as it sounds like you've done all you can. 

As others have found, it's perhaps wise to have a backup solution for failures with apps on Glass. A cheap Firestick from Amazon attached to one of the HDMI ports on a Glass TV will give you access to a full app store and give you control over which apps you choose to install, delete and refresh.  

MisterM18
Topic Author

There is now another thread on here where the original poster and another poster have advised experiencing issues with the My5 app. The thread is below:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Glass-Live/Unable-to-access-the-My5-app/td-p/4671546

I originally reported the issue that I am experiencing to Sky by phone on 18th June 2024 and I am still unable to access any content on the My5 app.

Other than a text message from Sky which I received on 19th June 2024 which said their support team are aware of an issue and are working on a fix which should be resolved over the coming days , I have not had any further contact from anyone at Sky. I am therefore still waiting on any further update or preferably a resolution to this from Sky.

Would one of the super users perhaps be able to flag the issue over to Sky? Many thanks.

MisterM18
Topic Author

I have just contacted Sky Customer Services about me still not being able to access the My5 app. I advised the Sky representative that I spoke to that I had originally reported this issue to Sky on 18th June 2024 ie a week and two days ago and that the issue still existed.

The Sky representative said that Sky were aware that "several customers were having issues accessing the My5 app" and that "Sky were working on fixing this in conjunction with the app provider". I asked how long this might take and she said that she was unable to advise me how long the fix would take to complete.

I reminded the Sky representative that I was paying a monthly subscription to Sky for the provision of TV services and I asked her if there was anything that could be done about that. She said that as the My5 app is a free app, there was nothing that she could offer. It didn't seem to matter that whilst it may well be a free app, I am still unable to access it via my Sky Glass TV.

Not good really……

MisterM18
Topic Author

I am still unable to access any content on the My5 app. I originally reported the issue that I am experiencing to Sky by phone on 18th June 2024 and I also contacted Sky again by phone on 27th June 2024. I have not heard anything back from anyone at Sky since.

Would one of the super users perhaps be able to flag the issue over to Sky?

MisterM18
Topic Author

After several weeks. still no update from anyone at Sky regarding a resoluion to this?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion