Discussion topic: Sky glass keeps freezing

This message was authored by Lukem2611 This message was authored by: Lukem2611

Re: Sky glass keeps freezing

My TV is connected via ethernet cable and my internet is stable everything that's connected to my internet works great never a problem which includes a puk box up stairs but my sky glass TV keeps freezing and makes a loud buzzing noise and I have to unplug the TV to get it to stop and sometimes I have to unplug it 3 or 4 times for it to even turn back on 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lukem2611 sounds like your TV is faulty rather than its a connection issue. Therefore I have escalated your post to the Sky team who support the forum who should be in touch soon to offer you a private chat session to get this sorted. Keep an eye onnthe forum as if you miss the message just click the chat icon which will be added to the forum pages for you to use.saving a long phone call.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to @Lukem2611 to chat.

This message was authored by Chas+Burston This message was authored by: Chas+Burston

I've had exactly the same issue for months (pretty much since installing the tv back in 2022 when I assumed it was a normal part of owning "glass") and have asked for the tv set to be changed. Currently Sky is trying things such as upgrading my account to a faster bb speed, a new router and, recently, a booster. None is working. In fairness, the sky operative noted that should no remedy be found, I could cancel the new, more expensive, contract, return the new kit and be refunded. However, apparently I am still to receive an engineer visit to investigate "in situ" what's happening and I'm going to call sky today or tomorrow to arrange this with the Sky max team. I'm still of the opinion that the tv is faulty. 🤞

This message was authored by turnesjt This message was authored by: turnesjt

Twelve months on and Sky has not resolved the issue as we experience the same. 
sky are just con men, I realise. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@turnesjt  One of the main reasons for freezing is the quality and speed of the Wi-Fi signal being received at the TV/puck and not that being received at the router.  This can be checked with the Netflix App (Get help > Check network) and is often much less than you might expect. The minimum speeds  recommended by Sky are as follows:

HD = 25mbps

UHD = 30mbps

HD + 1 puck = 30mbps

UHD + 1 puck = 35mbps

If your speed at the TV is borderline try connecting via Ethernet cable. If this is not practical you can use powerline adapters (about £30 at Amazon). Note the Ethernet port on the Glass TV (& pucks) only supports 100mbps so don't waste money on the more expensive 1gb powerline adapters

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

We are using an Ethernet cable.

tv not only freezes but jumps back to Sky adverts, home page, switches on/off (this motion voice capability is disabled), yet...

Sky broadband guarantees 36mbps.

showing 32 at present. 
Sky stated to switch off all other devices to enable tv to work ?!?!

yet their website states you now require 25 mbps ..not more. 
all other devices switched off....and it still freezes or jumps randomly to other screens.

think we've been mis sold a pup.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@turnesjt I'm assuming you are getting 32mbps at your TV (tested by Netflix / check network).  The speed being received by the router is often nowhere near what is being received at your devise.  As an example I get 500mbps from my ISP (normally 475 in reality) and I have just checked my speed at the puck and it is down to 395mbps.  Note that the Ethernet port on the Glass TV (and puck) only supports 100mbps. 

I would be inclined to call Sky for troubleshooting your issue but if you prefer I can escalate your post to the Community Messaging Team who will invite you to an online chat.  Let me know if you would like me to do this.

Thank you for your help.

it wasSky who supplied the Ethernet cable and told me to switch off the other devices. 
if you can escalate on my behalf that would be very helpful. 
I should add...I also have lip sync isssues that Sky also blames on the broadband speed....seems everything but their problem. Yet I've paid for their"super fast" service.

This message was authored by Lukem2611 This message was authored by: Lukem2611

I found swapping over to the WiFi and not ethernet cable seems to have worked for me I've not had my sky TV crash on me since I did that 

@turnesjt I am lucky enough to have fast and stable broadband and TBH have very few issues with Stream (and formerly Glass when I had one). I am convinced that broadband issues are the cause of many problems that Glass & Stream subscribers have.  Of course it will not be the cause of everything but I suspect an adviser that runs out of options will simply blame you broadband as an easy way out of their predicament.

As requested I have escalated your post so you will receive an invitation for an online chat.  The link below explains how the procedure works:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Keep a look out for the speech chat bubble that will appear on the bottom left of your screen when you are logged onto this forum (you will need to refresh your browser from time to time until you see the chat bubble). When the blue bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or the chat will be automatically closed.  Note replies from Sky are not instant so you will need to regularly check the chat thread.

Good luck 🤞

@Lukem2611 wrote:

I found swapping over to the WiFi and not ethernet cable seems to have worked for me I've not had my sky TV crash on me since I did that 

@Lukem2611 I have read posts in the past where despite the normal wisdom of Ethernet is best they have found WiFi better in their specific circumstances so it is certainly something that @turnesjt could try.

I use WiFi with no issues at all.

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to @turnesjt.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion