Discussion topic: Sky glass keeps freezing

This message was authored by wayne+collumbine This message was authored by: wayne+collumbine

Sky glass keeps freezing

Sick of this TV now always freezing I have sky fibre and still rubbish

Best Answers
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

Re: Sky glass keeps freezing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wayne+collumbine If you are using wifi you would probably resolve this by connecting via Ethernet.  If this is not possible or practical then you could use powerline adapters instead (about £35 on Amazon).  If you try the adapters don't wast money on 1Gb models as Glass/Stream only supports 100mbps which is more than enough.

It's not the speed of your wifi that's important but the stability of the signal.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@wayne+collumbine wrote:
Sick of this TV now always freezing I have sky fibre and still rubbish

What speed is your Glass TV receiving? If you go the 'Get Help' section of Netflix and choose the Network speed test you can find out.

Glass is sensitive to speed fluctuations, particularly over WiFi so often connecting via ethernet instead can help. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

@wayne+collumbine If you are using wifi you would probably resolve this by connecting via Ethernet.  If this is not possible or practical then you could use powerline adapters instead (about £35 on Amazon).  If you try the adapters don't wast money on 1Gb models as Glass/Stream only supports 100mbps which is more than enough.

It's not the speed of your wifi that's important but the stability of the signal.

wayne+collumbine
Topic Author
This message was authored by wayne+collumbine This message was authored by: wayne+collumbine

Hi what type of ethernet cable do I need is a cat 5 one ok 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@wayne+collumbine wrote:

Hi what type of ethernet cable do I need is a cat 5 one ok 

@wayne+collumbine Yes, a Cat 5 cable will be fine.  

wayne+collumbine
Topic Author

Brilliant thanks for your help 

This message was authored by Grolschy This message was authored by: Grolschy

My Sky Glass is continuously either freezes, freezes with sound, goes blank with or without sound. 

The only way I can resolve this is by unplugging. 

I do NOT want to use an ethernet cable as the whole point was not having to have any leads or dish.

My router is no further than 10m from my glass tv and there is no obstructions so a clear wifi signal. 

Getting really fed up wil this!

wayne+collumbine
Topic Author

I have same problem and now connected to ethernet cable still have fault it's pathetic what is the point I wish I kept a dish now 

This message was authored by techman9 This message was authored by: techman9

@Grolschy wrote:

My Sky Glass is continuously either freezes, freezes with sound, goes blank with or without sound. 

The only way I can resolve this is by unplugging. 

I do NOT want to use an ethernet cable as the whole point was not having to have any leads or dish.

My router is no further than 10m from my glass tv and there is no obstructions so a clear wifi signal. 

Getting really fed up wil this!

Yep they advertise it as "over Wifi", "No wires no fuss" but yet the default advice here is "Use an ethernet Cable" work that one out.

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@techman9 Remember that we're customers of sky not sky employees. So our advice is by experience of what works when distinguishing between Wi-Fi and Ethernet cabling to the router.

The Wi-Fi to the hub is by the infrastructure to the property (FTTC or FTTP) and then the router is the hardware that enables that to be projected around the home - not all problems is the router's problem, the large majority of UK households is old brick or sandstone, as such there's a lot of thick walls to not penetrate and reach all areas effectively. Thus, the understanding that you may have to use Ethernet cabling to reduce signal interference to the router that gives you the optimum speed for your sky glass to work more effectively.

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@techman9 Glass work perfectly well with wi-fi if you have a decent speed and just as importantly a stable signal with little to no fluctuations.

I use wi-fi with absolutely no problem but if people are having issues then seeing if an Ethernet connection will help is a good first step and frequently it does resolve the problem if the wi-fi is a little suspect.

@Kevin-7248 I see our posts crossed and you have explained the problem in much greater depth than me.

To reinforce what you have said about the loss of signal my router is situated in my L shaped hallway and is no more than 20 feet from my Glass TV but the wi-fi signal loss is 50mbps which is far more than I would have expected ☹️

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@Fothergill1 

Yes, it seems a substantial drop when only so far away. What is in your L shaped hall for reducing your speed or do you believe it could be another device leading to significant drop in speed? I found my ring chime pro reduced my speeds to only 150mb out of 500mb. This was what the sky technical expert said was happening as a Wi-Fi killer in the house and experienced other customers phoning up with the same problem. So low and behold it was the problem. 

Ring has worked on new updates since then, but I'm leaving until I can't live without the further doorbell noise to alert us that someone is at the front door. 

Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 

@Kevin-7248 I suspect my speed drop is mostly due to the position of my fibre box which is in the corner of the L (actually more of a Z). It is not something that worries me as I am starting out with a speed of 500mbps so a drop to 450 is more than acceptable. (Just checked whilst typing and it is currently at 447.71mbps)

It does however reinforce the point that consumers do not necessarily get anywhere near the speed at their Glass or puck that they think the do.  I felt sorry for someone on the forum recently who was asked to use the Netflix network speed check only to find they were receiving 7mbps at their puck. 

@Fothergill1 

But you need to get what you're paying for. If it can and will do the maximum, then can you move it is possibly an idea.

50mbps is a massive drop in terms of which package you have. But may not be seen as such because of the ultrafast plus package giving 500mbps.

Oh it does, but numerous factors are at play. Ultimately on FTTC, if after trial and error and investigation, then it will be down to the BT infrastructure requiring upgrading.

If FTTP, then it is either the router or placement. Though it could still be the way engineers have installed the fibre or cabinet installation components. 

This is why humanity is now facing an even greater threat from AI and the recent announcement from BT that over 15,000 jobs is to go - namely installation jobs of the new fibre, yes, but they have also admitted to replacing with AI technology. 

Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion