Discussion topic: Sky glass keeps freezing

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: Sky glass keeps freezing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kevin-7248 I used to get 475-480mbps but there was a problem with the whole Island (Jersey) infrastructure which had an effect on all the local ISPs.  

I noticed the problem as my Glass suddenly started experiencing the stuttering and freezing which I had never had before so I checked my speed and found it had dropped to 7mbps.

I called into my ISP and was advised the problem was Island wide and was being looked into.  It was soon fixed but since then my speed is only around 450mbps ☹️.  I will pop into their shop when I am next passing to see if this speed common.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Fothergill1 

Be thankful most I can get in the Welsh valleys is 35mb FTTC .....   

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Jporch316 Believe me I know how lucky I am 😀.  The whole island is on fibre 500 or even 1gb which is mostly used by businesses but is available to households if you want to pay the extra.

It is also a very stable service which coupled with the speed is why I believe I have very few problems with my Glass.

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@Fothergill1 Well if you put it like that there's no argument there, unless they are providing a temporary fix before fully repairing. But I'd get onto them just in case it's something that can be resolved from a technical standpoint that they've not adjusted and powered down your line 😋

FTTC is horrid. FTTP is needed all over the country OR a big investment in black spots for the likes of satellite provided internet. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre 500 WiFi Max
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
This message was authored by Jimmy7062 This message was authored by: Jimmy7062

Have problems with Sky Glass freezing, using ethernet cable linked to sky router with a decent Internet speed. Glass froze but I was watching football in another room on the puck and it was fine. Wonder if this is a processor problem with sky glass TVs

This message was authored by Gary2054 This message was authored by: Gary2054

I have Sky fibre and my router is connected by Ethernet into my Sky Glass TV but I'm getting problems with freezing on UHD, especially Sky Sports which is really annoying. When I switch to HD it works fine but I want UHD!

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Gary2054 wrote:

I have Sky fibre and my router is connected by Ethernet into my Sky Glass TV but I'm getting problems with freezing on UHD, especially Sky Sports which is really annoying. When I switch to HD it works fine but I want UHD!

Make sure that WiFi is turned off on the Network settings on your Glass TV. 

Also, check what speed is being received by the TV - to find out, open the Netflix app, navigate to the Get Help menu and run a network test. Sky advise a minimum of 35Mbps for UHD to stream with stability. 

Thanks for your reply. I've turned off WiFi on the TV. It did its usual thing... ran okay for a bit on UHD and started freezing again 🙄

I checked on Netflix (didn't know about that so thanks) and the speed is 71.19 Mbps. 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Gary2054 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I've turned off WiFi on the TV. It did its usual thing... ran okay for a bit on UHD and started freezing again 🙄

I checked on Netflix (didn't know about that so thanks) and the speed is 71.19 Mbps. 

That's more than enough speed. Don't know what else to suggest I'm afraid. Glass just seems to be problematic with UHD streams for quite a few people. Give Sky a ring and see if they can suggest any further troubleshooting. 

Thanks anyway. I learned a few things from you! 

@Gary2054 wrote:

Thanks anyway. I learned a few things from you! 

No problem. Good luck! Hope you get it sorted. 

This message was authored by Grolschy This message was authored by: Grolschy

Don't know if anyone has tried this but I turned off the eco/motion setting and it seems to have resolved the freezing issue.

Would be interesting to see if the community is still having the freezing issues with and without the setting on.

Regards

@Grolschy Like you I have this option turned off and TBH I very seldom get any freezing and when I do it is generally because I gave too many conflicting commands on the remote and have confused the system.

I actually turned off all the option in the Start up & Standby  menu except for the Networked Standby mode which I turned on.  I did this not long after getting Glass 12 months ago and it resolved a lot of annoying issues.

This message was authored by Grolschy This message was authored by: Grolschy

I have kept my wifi on and just disabled the carbon neutal/motion/sleep mode in the settings. I just have a feeling the freezing is related to the eco mode. Let me know if this makes sense.

I'll give it a go 👍

(Yes it does make sense... I previously disabled the motion detection as every time some walked past the room the TV came on 🙄

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion