Discussion topic: Sky glass - Phillips Hue Light

This message was authored by mumford87 This message was authored by: mumford87

Sky glass - Phillips Hue Light

Hi

i have a Sky glass TV and looking to purchase a Phillip hue TV light setup. From what I've seen the sky glass isn't compatible with the Phillip hue sync box due to no HDMI output and also the Phillip hue app isn't available. Does anyone know if there was a a work around to watch from the sky glass directly with the Phillip hue lights

Best Answers
This message was authored by J_Tyler This message was authored by: J_Tyler Answer

Re: Sky glass - Phillips Hue Light

@mumford87 wrote:

Hi

i have a Sky glass TV and looking to purchase a Phillip hue TV light setup. From what I've seen the sky glass isn't compatible with the Phillip hue sync box due to no HDMI output and also the Phillip hue app isn't available. Does anyone know if there was a a work around to watch from the sky glass directly with the Phillip hue lights

Short answer, no.

The Hue Sync box only works with devices which output video over HDMI then passes it through to a display. Glass can only output audio over HDMI. 
For a true Ambilight experience you're better off buying a Philips TV with the technology built in. There was a deal a few weeks ago for a very good Philips OLED with Ambilight which cost less than a Glass TV. 
You can buy fake Ambilight LED strips which you could attach to the back of a Glass TV along with a small camera which looks at what's on the screen and mimics the colours, but they're really poor. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by J_Tyler This message was authored by: J_Tyler Answer

@mumford87 wrote:

Hi

Short answer, no.

The Hue Sync box only works with devices which output video over HDMI then passes it through to a display. Glass can only output audio over HDMI. 
For a true Ambilight experience you're better off buying a Philips TV with the technology built in. There was a deal a few weeks ago for a very good Philips OLED with Ambilight which cost less than a Glass TV. 
You can buy fake Ambilight LED strips which you could attach to the back of a Glass TV along with a small camera which looks at what's on the screen and mimics the colours, but they're really poor. 

This message was authored by Mark8t6 This message was authored by: Mark8t6

I bought a Hue Sync box and did not know about Sky Glass not working with it. After a lot of digging I tested plugging my sons Sky Puck in to the Hue Sync and it worked! I have had to purchase a new Puck & now just have to select the Sky Puck from the Sky Glass apps & inputs menu. Not ideal but glad a i haven't wasted £200 on the Hue Sync. Hope this helps someone.

This message was authored by Katie922 This message was authored by: Katie922

Hi! Just read your comment and was so relived to hear it works. Just bought the philips hue gradient strip lights, a bridge, a hue sync box and a sky puc. After spending so much money i cant seem to get the lights to sync, any tips on what i may be doing wrong? 

Philips hue on Sky glass

Hello,

I am looking for some help with setting up a philips hue gradient strip light on my sky glass.

i read on another discussion that someone was able to make it work by using a hue bridge, hue sync box & a sly streaming puck. I have since purchased all those products ( costing a small fortune lol) and i still cant get it to work.

the lights now respond however they dont change in theme with the colours on the screen. 

any tips to what i may be doing wrong? Is there a setting i need to change? 

It depends what you are trying to stream on. Are you just watching something on a normal sky channel or using something like Netflix, Disney plus etc?

@Mark8t6  hi! I tried a sky cinema & Netflix etc .. each time the lights were static.

Strange, they should definitely work with sky cinema. I did find that mine didn't like ultra HD content though so I had to downgrade my Netflix, Disney plus etc to standard HD. If you have ultra HD with sky cinema that could be the reason. It is frustrating how fiddly the sync box is for the price of it!

Ahhh I see! I've just upgraded my sky account to the ultra HD. I did notice in the hue advanced settings there was a option for Dolby sound so I've selected that to see if that makes a difference .

i agree, a very expensive bit of equipment and prior to buying the lights you aren't made aware that you need extras such as the bridge and sync box. Just hoping it's worth the hassle and money. So you make a lot of use of yours?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Katie922 

Is the content definitely coming from the Stream puck? 

Nothing generated on a Glass television can sync with a Hue system: that would require a setup with a camera watching the screen.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

I tried that advanced setting but it only worked sometimes so I just downgraded all my packages to HD and now there's no issues. I use mine all the time, especially with movies. Definitely worth it. Hope you get yours working soon!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Philips hue on Sky glass

@Katie922 

In that set-up the make of television becomes irrelevant.

Content generated on the Stream puck passes through the Hue box before arrival at the TV: it's the Hue box which analyses the signal to trigger the lights.

Nothing on the television itself can alter the light colour.

As you said each to their own, wasn't looking for someone's opinion, just some advice. 

Thanks for your help, I think I need to make sure I'm selecting the puck when streaming, that could of been the issue.

@Katie922 wrote:

I think I need to make sure I'm selecting the puck when streaming

Definitely, yes.  The Glass television doesn't output a video signal over HDMI so the Hue system cannot pick up any information from it.  Only video data passing through the Hue box is analysed, so that has to come from the puck (or another external device such as an optical disk player) connected to a Hue input HDMI port.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion