Discussion topic: Sky Glass 65" keeps freezing need to power off and on again

This message was authored by kevisere4u This message was authored by: kevisere4u

Sky Glass 65" keeps freezing need to power off and on again

My Sky Glass 65" keeps freezing, different channels and Apps needs to be powered off and on again.

It has done this over 10 times in a month, is there going to be a software upgrade to overcome this, or do I need a repacement Sky Glass unit?

Hoping for a brighter future and a Glass that is reliable.

All Replies

This message was authored by Deedee36 This message was authored by: Deedee36

Re: Sky Glass 65" keeps freezing need to power off and on again

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@kevisere4u  How are you connected?

……
……
……
……
“Trying to help improve sky glass”
This message was authored by Sarahrob69 This message was authored by: Sarahrob69

We have the same issue with 55". I am getting full fibre, over 100mbs and it is still happening. I have spoke to sky 3 times and the last call was on a video chat where I showed him that the router was very near to the tv. Nothing got resolved.  They are blaming my Internet but that's nonsense. The TV even switched itself off the other day yet the volume was still playing. Very wierd. 

kevisere4u
Topic Author
This message was authored by kevisere4u This message was authored by: kevisere4u

I had this problem once so far where the video went blank but the sound was still working. Swithing it off and on again is becoming a regular occurance.

There are many complants about this Sky Glass TV but Sky only blame it on the WIFI connection instead of owning the responsability of a faulty product (Software or hardware?)

kevisere4u
Topic Author

Sky claim the Sky Glass TV needs 10Mbs to stream and I have at least 60Mbs plus. It seems like a poor excuse to blame the freezing and looping on poor WIFI.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@kevisere4u wrote:

There are many complants about this Sky Glass TV but Sky only blame it on the WIFI connection instead of owning the responsability of a faulty product (Software or hardware?)

The complication is that for those of us with Glass on ethernet with a decent internet connection, it works.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@kevisere4u

Hi, try a hard reset of the tv and then report back how you've got on. 

This should force the latest updates but reinstall the software as a fresh install. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@kevisere4u wrote:

I had this problem once so far where the video went blank but the sound was still working. Swithing it off and on again is becoming a regular occurance.

@kevisere4u I suspect that a lot of the time Sky are correct. Most people I know that have fast and stable broadband have none of these problems.  The stability of your signal is important as Glass is susceptible to fluctuations.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Lufctoma This message was authored by: Lufctoma

I'm having the same trouble 

This message was authored by sunshine2308 This message was authored by: sunshine2308

I have exactly the same problem. Plus my programs wont load. i rang sky and I had to move my hub but it makes no difference 

kevisere4u
Topic Author

I can understand the buffering or freezing but you should never need to power off your TV to reset it , there is something fundamentally wrong with the design.

Buffering or freezing should be cured by just changing channel, sometimes you can not turn it off or on again on the remote without a complete power cycle.

I am an Electronic engineer I do not agree with Sky's answer of bad WIFI.

kevisere4u
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood It is designed to work off of WIFI so it should be able to cope with a dip in Broadband not just feeze and need a hard reboot.

kevisere4u
Topic Author

@Fothergill1It is designed to work off of WIFI so it should be able to cope with a dip in Broadband not just feeze and need a hard reboot

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@kevisere4u 

I tend to agree, but a great deal of real world domestic WiFi is truly lousy, and I continue to suspect that specifying, building and testing the Glass/Stream hardware during the peak pandemic years and the accompanying global silicon component supply crunch really hasn't helped with its robustness.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@kevisere4u 

I tend to agree, but a great deal of real world domestic WiFi is truly lousy, and I continue to suspect that specifying, building and testing the Glass/Stream hardware during the peak pandemic years and the accompanying global silicon component supply crunch really hasn't helped with its robustness.

It'll be interesting to see what changes are made in the rumoured 'cheaper' v2 Glass. A plastic chassis and a better WiFi antenna perhaps? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion