Discussion topic: Plex App?

This message was authored by CliffyCliff This message was authored by: CliffyCliff

Re: Plex App?

You just do not get it.  Discussion going no where with s Sky Synmpathist. No doubt if Sky come out with an App in 5 years and ditch hardware you will be singing there p;raises and saying its a great idea. Look back on thsi thread when that happens

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CliffyCliff wrote:

No doubt if Sky come out with an App in 5 years and ditch hardware you will be singing there p;raises and saying its a great idea. 

I'd be saying that's not Sky.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@CliffyCliff wrote:

No doubt if Sky come out with an App in 5 years and ditch hardware you will be singing there p;raises and saying its a great idea. 

I'd be saying that's not Sky.

Definitely not as we know it'

@CliffyCliff Just to point out the VM have the same model with internet and tv set top boxes (now changing to streaming boxes)

@TimmyBGood  I think you should add "sky sympathist" to your sig.........

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by CliffyCliff This message was authored by: CliffyCliff

When Steve Jobs went back to Apple they were almost bankrupt. He cancelled 90% of there products. When the iPhoen launched theer was no app store, Steve didnt want it, eventually he gave in and opened an App store since then Apple have become one of the top tech companies in teh world but they had to change. That was very un Steve and un apple

Microsoft used to make phones and rubbish MP3 players. They realised it wasnt working for them so they binned it off to concentrate on making apps for other devices. They are doing away with perpetual licenses and starting subscriptions instead. (services make money hardware does not) guess what they changed there business model and fortunes changed also.

AMD used to make there own Silcon, it wasnt working out for them so they sold there fabs and concentrated on making good products. They changed and there fortunes changed

Think of the money SKY could save in Manfacturing, Support, Shipping etc if they stopped making hardware (provided just to the few homes that cant support fast inyternet) and just provided an app. There revenue would not drop as they still get to charge the same (maybe less multi room) but there costs would be slashed dramatically. Leave the past in teh past and move to a more tech savy future. Change or be overtaken because its only a matter of time before Apple and or Amazon buy up teh EPL rights and SKy will loose a lot of customers on that day

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jporch316 wrote:
@TimmyBGood  I think you should add "sky sympathist" to your sig.........

Not if that means I have to stop being rude about Sky Glass, Broadband Boost (which doesn't) and a certain 'WiFi Guarantee' ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

@CliffyCliff 

But Sky don't manufacture this kit. This is manufactured by Comcast and is sold all over the world under different brands. Case in point: https://www.foxtel.com.au/about/media-centre/press-releases/2021/foxtel-group-sky-glass.html

So yes they could save a fortune but they have economy of scale on their side and a way of exercising more control over the platform, it's features and content on the platform.

It's a case of when it no longer makes business sense to have kit, they will move to app only, but it's likely some way away.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by roger1949 This message was authored by: roger1949

I wouldn't dream of letting my Plex library anywhere near sky glass

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion