Discussion topic: Plex App?

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

Re: Plex App?

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@ChrisC29 

Only if the client device was buffering the whole movie, which is rather unlikely (and impossible for one with limited local storage). Having a 100Mbs chipset might be an issue for file transfer, certainly,  but a Stream puck is never going to be doing that.

So if it takes 2 hours and 20 minutes to transfer 100GB @ 100mbps, how is it going to keep up playing a movie that is 1 hour and 30 minutes long? So you're saying if it doesn't try and transfer the whole movie and just puts say 10 minutes into buffer (which is what it does btw, unless you use Infuse which does buffer the whole file by default), it can somehow transfer that 10 minutes faster than the rest of the file? 

Don't know if you use Plex daily, but I do and have had pretty much every Fire Stick, stream box, Nvidia Shield, etc over the years to do the job, and if you use anything with 100mbps NIC and try to playback large files, you will get buffering and a message to say that the connection to the server isn't fast enough to support playback without buffer pauses.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ChrisC29 

Again, the streaming device doesn't require anything like 100Mbs to output UHD content to the screen, even at highest possible quality it can produce: that's kind of the point of streaming.  Your server might well want gigabit if it were to serve multiple streams, but no client device needs that.  

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@ChrisC29 

Again, the streaming device doesn't require anything like 100Mbs to output UHD content to the screen, even at highest possible quality: that's kind of the point of streaming.  Your server might well want gigabit if it were to serve multiple streams, but no client device needs that.

And how are you getting to that conclusion? You do know we're not talking about the compressed UHD that Sky is supplying? We're talking about the fact that if Plex were to be added, it would be pants.

If you wanted to use the Stream puck for Plex and you wanted to use it for UNCOMPRESSED Blu-ray rips, coming in at over 100GB in file size, it could not play it without buffering if the movie is under 2 hours and 20 minutes! It takes that long (roughly) to take the file from the server and move it over to the media player, it doesn't matter if it moves all the data and puts it all in buffer, or it attempts to move it all, it won't be able to move it fast enough, as the movie should be finished before the data could be transferred. It would be constantly trying to fill the buffer, but because it cannot pull the data fast enough, the buffer would never fill and it would have to stop.

Let's say the movie is 90 minutes long, there's a 50 minute difference between the time it takes for the data to get to the client and the length of the movie. So, you would have to pause the movie for 50 minutes, so it could buffer the data, then play it, and by the time it got to the end of the movie, it would still catch the buffer as the movie ended.

Don't think you're going to get it by the looks of it, but this is the simplest way I can find to explain it. I literally have this setup and have files of that size on my server, so I know what works and doesn't work, I'm just trying to help people understand why it wouldn't make a great Plex client. 

This message was authored by techman9 This message was authored by: techman9

@Suskha wrote:

@techman9 wrote:

Should really check out the product in detail before labelling it.

You should take your own advice here, @TimmyBGood is clearly correct and your response was neither necessary or informed. 🤡

Are you 10 ?

This message was authored by dtb87 This message was authored by: dtb87

Would be far easier just finding a capable android device to handle this,  (e.g. nvidia shield) The bandwith limitations would only be the start of the problems, no True HD/DTS Audio, dolby vision, lack of  codec support etc.

@dtb87 wrote:

Would be far easier just finding a capable android device to handle this,  (e.g. nvidia shield) The bandwith limitations would only be the start of the problems, no True HD/DTS Audio, dolby vision, lack of  codec support etc.

Exactly, I've tried them all and there is no perfect device, but the best 2 are Apple TV and Nvidia Shield. Both have their positives and negatives. Apple TV doesn't play great with the native Plex app but Infuse works perfectly.

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@ChrisC29 

I use Chromecast with Google TV 4K connected to my Sky Glass TV to use Plex App

No issues streaming content from my hard drives connected to my PC as I have Chromecast with Google TV 4K connected to USB hub that has Gigabit Ethernet port and also use the USB hub to add extra storage for apps on the Chromecast 

I have a lot of video files on my hard drives that are full rips of Blu-ray and UHD discs

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks

@Paul+Boland wrote:

@ChrisC29 

I use Chromecast with Google TV 4K connected to my Sky Glass TV to use Plex App

No issues streaming content from my hard drives connected to my PC as I have Chromecast with Google TV 4K connected to USB hub that has Gigabit Ethernet port and also use the USB hub to add extra storage for apps on the Chromecast 

I have a lot of video files on my hard drives that are full rips of Blu-ray and UHD discs

I've got a Google TV but not currently using it, it's a decent device but it did struggle at times on WiFi and I just didn't want to buy the hub. Could see it working no problem with a hub and gigabit though.

My server can hardware transcode (Nvidia graphics card installed) so it's not like I can't play the file if the bandwidths not there, it's just more a case of what's the point of ripping them in full 4K if you're just going to transcode them down to a lesser resolution.

This message was authored by The+other+Ian This message was authored by: The+other+Ian

I know I'm late to this, but I get Plex on my Apple TV box so I really don't understand the issue with Sky not allowing this on their Stream device.

I believe this is either too expensive or too complicated to persue.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@The+other+Ian wrote:

I know I'm late to this, but I get Plex on my Apple TV box so I really don't understand the issue with Sky not allowing this on their Stream device.

Apple have an app store. The customer chooses which apps to download to their device. 

Sky does not have an app store. The customer cannot choose which apps are available on their device as they are all stored on a Sky-controlled server. 

You buy Sky Glass or Stream and you're buying into a system that you have very little control over. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@The+other+Ian wrote:

Apple have an app store. The customer chooses which apps to download to their device. 

And for that reason, Apple does not have to staff call centres providing Plex support.  Sky is obliged to offer help with all the apps hosted on its hardware, because that's what Sky subscribers expect.

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Also 

as I have stated before - plex (wether by nature or design ) can be used for streaming pirated content 

I'm fairly sure having this kind of app available on skys hardware is never going to happen ...... ever 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Jporch316 wrote:

Also 

as I have stated before - plex (wether by nature or design ) can be used for streaming pirated content 

I'm fairly sure having this kind of app available on skys hardware is never going to happen ...... ever 

Exactly. The vast majority of Sky customers (and staff) wouldn't have a clue what Plex even is. 

The whole Glass/Stream platform is built for the masses, not the nerds.  

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Sorry - to make myself more clear (in case plex come calling for slander!)

plex is easily used, and well known for file sharing abilities ..... whether that's between friends and family or iptv server systems 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

@Jporch316 wrote:

(in case plex come calling for slander!)

They probably couldn't afford to sue you, which is another reason a commercial partnership with Sky is rather unlikely...

I'd imagine total Plex revenue is rather less than the YouTube complementary coffee and cookies budget.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion