Discussion topic: Grainy screen quality on sky store

This message was authored by MatChapman This message was authored by: MatChapman

Grainy screen quality on sky store

Hi guys

Has anyone else experienced issues with sky store? The picture quality tends to be terrible. As well as a lot of hd channels. Even with the reduce judder option on it doesn't really help. 

My broadband with virgin is faster than anything sky can offer so I'm reluctant to believe it's broadband speed 

Wonder if changing my DNS may help 

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: Grainy screen quality on sky store

@MatChapman wrote:

Hi guys

Has anyone else experienced issues with sky store? The picture quality tends to be terrible. As well as a lot of hd channels. Even with the reduce judder option on it doesn't really help. 

My broadband with virgin is faster than anything sky can offer so I'm reluctant to believe it's broadband speed 

Wonder if changing my DNS may help 

Changing your DNS will do nothing to improve Sky Store. It's always been the worst provider of movies. The app on Glass/Stream is dire. 

I always recommend people to purchase movies from other sources like Prime Video - you'll get UHD quality for the same price as Sky Store's HD, it'll be at the correct frame rate (Sky Store speeds 24fps movies up to 25fps) and you'll usually get less compression. 

Judder reduction only affects third party apps which show content at 24 or 30 fps. Turning it on basically switches the output of Glass/Stream from 50Hz to 60Hz which helps disguise the frame rate mismatch. Glass and Stream do not output native frame rates - it can only do 50 or 60Hz. 

MatChapman
Topic Author
This message was authored by MatChapman This message was authored by: MatChapman

Shame as I have loads of purchases through sky store haha. But I have a feeling your right. The integration between sky store I thought would be a lot better than it is. 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@MatChapman wrote:

Shame as I have loads of purchases through sky store haha. But I have a feeling your right. The integration between sky store I thought would be a lot better than it is. 

Yeah, I started off thinking a few years ago that it was a great place to get movies from... but these days, with so many streaming options offering vastly superior quality for the same price, it's become obsolete. The app on Glass/Stream seems to be very much an afterthought. It's there for convenience not quality. 

MatChapman
Topic Author

Starting to miss sky q. That quality was great lol

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@MatChapman Oh you can downgrade from sky glass to Q again if you're having difficulties with the sky glass tv. However I don't think it's an option for only this issue searching the sky store movies, I'm afraid. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
MatChapman
Topic Author

It's not the searching as such its the quality of the video. On sky cinema films the quality is great but on sky store content it can be quite grainy. Also starts out as SD quality then changes to HD.  They should like preload the content. I think that was the only bonus on Q the file was downloaded so it played better quality 

This message was authored by Stephen14127 This message was authored by: Stephen14127

Having the same issues - the quality is so poor it looks like a counterfeit copy they are streaming.

This message was authored by OneOfThePeople This message was authored by: OneOfThePeople

Sky Store is uploaded in HD - All the other platforms offer UHD (Netflix/Prime/paramount etc)

Sky Store should be a last resort as the quality is so poor

MatChapman
Topic Author

The hd quality ones are still grainy though unfortunately. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion