Discussion topic: Connect surround system

This message was authored by Farrukh81 This message was authored by: Farrukh81

Connect surround system

Can someone help me out please? 
I bought a sony surround system 5.1 and trying to connect with sky glass, but its not working I try everything but still not connected, its working with Bluetooth but not with hdmi. 

can someone tell me how to connect it ? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Buttery_Ken This message was authored by: Buttery_Ken Answer

Re: Connect surround system

@CoffeeDrinker wrote:

@Buttery_Ken wrote:

@CoffeeDrinker wrote:

@Farrukh81 wrote:

I bought a sony surround system 5.1 and trying to connect with sky glass, but its not working I try everything but still not connected, its working with Bluetooth but not with hdmi. 

Assuming your Sony surround system has an HDMI input and supports ARC (audio return channel) or eARC, connect an HDMI cable from HDMI2 on your Glass TV to the HDMI input on your Sony surround system. Then check the sound format in the settings on your Glass TV to Auto; this should send the most appropriate sound format to your Sony system that it can handle.

This is incorrect. 

When using an ARC or eARC connection, you connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT port on the surround amp. It may sound counter-intuitive but the HDMI OUT port on an amplifier, if it has ARC or eARC capability, also acts as an input from an external source such as Sky Glass or any other smart TV. 

Happy to stand corrected 😀 My own lounge setup is Stream Puck > Denon AVR > TV (Glass is left as an all in one unit upstairs). Thinking about it, the very occasional time we use the TV as a source in itself, ARC does indeed feed sound back to the *output* HJDMI on the Denon AVR.

It catches a lot of people out that one! 

You have the same setup as I do - Puck (and various other devices) > Denon AVR > TV!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

@Farrukh81 wrote:

Assuming your Sony surround system has an HDMI input and supports ARC (audio return channel) or eARC, connect an HDMI cable from HDMI2 on your Glass TV to the HDMI input on your Sony surround system. Then check the sound format in the settings on your Glass TV to Auto; this should send the most appropriate sound format to your Sony system that it can handle.

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.
This message was authored by Buttery_Ken This message was authored by: Buttery_Ken

@CoffeeDrinker wrote:

@Farrukh81 wrote:

This is incorrect. 

When using an ARC or eARC connection, you connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT port on the surround amp. It may sound counter-intuitive but the HDMI OUT port on an amplifier, if it has ARC or eARC capability, also acts as an input from an external source such as Sky Glass or any other smart TV. 

This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

@Buttery_Ken wrote:

@CoffeeDrinker wrote:

@Farrukh81 wrote:

This is incorrect. 

Happy to stand corrected 😀 My own lounge setup is Stream Puck > Denon AVR > TV (Glass is left as an all in one unit upstairs). Thinking about it, the very occasional time we use the TV as a source in itself, ARC does indeed feed sound back to the *output* HJDMI on the Denon AVR.

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.
This message was authored by Buttery_Ken This message was authored by: Buttery_Ken Answer

@CoffeeDrinker wrote:

@Buttery_Ken wrote:

@CoffeeDrinker wrote:

@Farrukh81 wrote:

This is incorrect. 

It catches a lot of people out that one! 

You have the same setup as I do - Puck (and various other devices) > Denon AVR > TV!

Farrukh81
Topic Author
This message was authored by Farrukh81 This message was authored by: Farrukh81

Thanks for your response. Yes my sound system has HDMI eARC and I try to connect HDMI eARC to Glass HDMI port 2 but still not working.
Do i have to active first from Glass setting somewhere inside ?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Farrukh81 wrote:

Do i have to active first from Glass setting somewhere inside ?

No: if an eARC device is detected on HDMI #2 it's used automatically, and an on-screen notification appears.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by vodker1 This message was authored by: vodker1

did you ever find a solution I have exact same problem with my denon 5.1 amp and need help 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@vodker1 wrote:

did you ever find a solution I have exact same problem with my denon 5.1 amp and need help 

Are you using the correct HDMI ARC ports? Have you rebooted your Glass TV? 

yes have done both of them there is only earc on hdmi port 2 does it matter that my 5.1 amp is only arc hdmi are there compatibility issues do you know 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@vodker1 wrote:

yes have done both of them there is only earc on hdmi port 2 does it matter that my 5.1 amp is only arc hdmi are there compatibility issues do you know 

There shouldn't be compatibility issues. eARC is backwards compatible with ARC - you can connect one to the other and they should work. Just make sure you have connected the HDMI cable from the eARC port on Glass to the HDMI ARC output socket on your amp, not to one of the inputs. 

Also check the settings on your amp to make sure that it is set to receive audio via ARC, some require ARC to be turned on in a settings menu. 

checked all that and all the settings and amp worked fine with last TV through hdmi arc there's no logical reason this shouldn't work apart from coming to the conclusion that the TV is at fault as any other TV iv put this system on has worked 

the amp is a denon avr-x500 if that helps 

@vodker1 wrote:

the amp is a denon avr-x500 if that helps 

I've just looked at the manual for the AVR-X500 and it makes no mention of it having HDMI ARC compatibility. Was your old TV perhaps connected to it via optical? 

you are correct iv found the same thing last night and realised myself with the TV lacking in a optical I can't use my amp which is really stupid what company wouldn't think of an optical in this day where so much uses it who ever reads this don't get sky glass it has so many issues not just this but the wall bracket is unstable and useless the TV has settings that don't work a c port charger that doesn't work no optical output weighs 28 kg and is a over priced piece of trash considering what it has you can get tvs for about £400 less than sky glass that are much better quality and have the outputs you need and are lightweight DONT BUY SKY GLASS

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion