Discussion topic: Sky peacock

This message was authored by bruce58 This message was authored by: bruce58

Sky peacock

January 13th 2022 still no subtitles on sky peacock. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: Sky peacock

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Annie+UK wrote:

@Wendy+golronan wrote:

Once the majority are affected things will happen, when it's the deaf community that is affected no one cares.  But yes I agree re OFCOM

Subtitle are used my by more than the deaf community but sadly all combined are still a minority 😞

oops corrected above

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent - ASD )

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I don't understand how/ why Sky allow "new broadcaster" to launch services that are not inclusive for all.

ITV Hub has been going years and you can only access subtitles if you watch with a Samsung TV bought after 2017, Chrome or have a laptop. GB news does not have subtitles ( but that could be a blessing) Come on Sky be inclusive to all 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Anonymous  You do realise that Sky has no direct control over broadcasters such as ITV?  Contrary to popular myth Sky are not the great overlord of every channel that exists.  They don't own any satellites, they don't have a say who goes on satellite, they don't have a say how other broadcasters operate.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Hi GD 1, I do understand that subtitles are the responsibility of the individual broadcasters and I've contacted some of them about this subject.

In fact Sky are probably the best at providing subtitles on sky programmes.

My complaint is that broadcasters want to use Skys platform then perhaps sky could " negotiate" with the broadcasters and try and "persuade" them to provide subtitles more.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi GD 1, I do understand that subtitles are the responsibility of the individual broadcasters and I've contacted some of them about this subject.

In fact Sky are probably the best at providing subtitles on sky programmes.

My complaint is that broadcasters want to use Skys platform then perhaps sky could " negotiate" with the broadcasters and try and "persuade" them to provide subtitles more.

This is something that ofcom need to deal with as they are the ones who police this area

If a broadcaster is following the ofcom rules then sky cannot negotiate/persuade anything more of them

Hi, the government has a piece of legislation called The Digital Economy Act 2017, Ofcom has been asked to do 2 surveys concerning subtitles, they last reported their findings last year. Still waiting for the Government to enact this legislation.

This message was authored by Wendy+golronan This message was authored by: Wendy+golronan

Went to settle down to watch Carol v Joe, and from a brand new platform, no subtitles. Waste of time.

This message was authored by Wendy+golronan This message was authored by: Wendy+golronan

If you cannot supply subtitles don't take the platform.

@Wendy+golronan wrote:

If you cannot supply subtitles don't take the platform.

And stop the majority of customers from getting the content 😞

OFCOM need to force broadcaster to be 100% with subtitles until that happens companies will hide behind the we are doing more that OFCOM request line 😞

Once the majority are affected things will happen, when it's the deaf community that is affected no one cares.  But yes I agree re OFCOM

@Wendy+golronan wrote:

Subtitle are used my more than the deaf community but sadly all combined are still a minority 😞

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

@Annie+UK wrote:

@Wendy+golronan wrote:

Subtitle are used my by more than the deaf community but sadly all combined are still a minority 😞

oops corrected above

Hi have you joined the RHID's SUBTITLE NOW!

Campaign. There is legislation, been through parliament called the Digital Economy Act  that the government has been sitting on. Hearing loss is a disability. To be fair to Sky itself its own programming is quite good, except for the History Channel.

Sky are in business to make money, they don't really care which company make the programme and they have an easy out by saying we don't control what other programme makers do. I wish you well.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion