Discussion topic: ScreenReader On Sky Q

This message was authored by Kieran+L This message was authored by: Kieran+L

ScreenReader On Sky Q

Hi,

I'm looking for more details on the screen reading feature that I was told would be coming to sky Q soon. Is this any closer to fruition? Will it work on Q Mini boxes as well as the main box? Will it work with all of Q's built-in apps, e.g. amazon prime, netflix, spotify etc? Will it read all functions e.g. sky store, account, settings, etc? Is it possible to try it out?

Thanks,

Kieran.

Best Answers
This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess Answer

Re: ScreenReader On Sky Q

Posted by a Sky employee

Sorry just to clarify. This feature, called Voice Guidance, began its roll out this morning. However it is a phased roll out, so most customers won't have it yet.

All customers will have Voice Guidance by the end of April. So if you don't have it today, don't worry, just check your box every couple of weeks.

For info on how to find it and switch it on, go to https://www.sky.com/help/articles/voice-guidance

Thanks,

Dave

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Kei+M This message was authored by: Kei+M

Hi Kieran,

We should have some details shortly that we can share, we're close to going into the final stages of our testing. I've asked to see if we can include you on one of the earlier waves when we eventually do start to roll it out to customers.

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

Ugh, they're compiling the rollout lists today so you'd need to private message me with your viewing card number by this afternoon for us to add it. Our filter might block it so you might have to think creatively to get around it.

@Kieran+L 

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

Kieran+L
Topic Author

Hi @Kei+M ,

I have sent it. Let me know if you have got it.

Cheers.

Got it thanks, it'll probably be a few weeks at least as we're still clearing the final test hurdles but we're getting there!

Thanks

Kei
Community Manager

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Kieran+L. Yes, as Kei said, we're nearly there but can't quite confirm the launch daye yet. We'll be sure to post here with the full details as soon as we can.

@Kieran+L this should have hit your box this morning. 

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Sorry just to clarify. This feature, called Voice Guidance, began its roll out this morning. However it is a phased roll out, so most customers won't have it yet.

All customers will have Voice Guidance by the end of April. So if you don't have it today, don't worry, just check your box every couple of weeks.

For info on how to find it and switch it on, go to https://www.sky.com/help/articles/voice-guidance

Thanks,

Dave

Kieran+L
Topic Author

Hi @Kei+M, thank you very much, I have had a play with it and it is fantastic. @DaveAccess please pass on my thanks for this, I am especially thankful that it works on the mini boxes as well as the main box. Just a follow-up question, is support for the built-in apps e.g. netflix etc planned, as well as thing that don't speak now including the schedule view in the planner? Where is best to submit feedback, on the forum here or sky's accessibility service?

Thanks once again, this is truly a welcome feature.

Kieran.

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Kieran+L

Thanks for the kind words. I will pass on to the team who will be delighted to hear the positive feedback.

Yes, the areas which are not yet speaking will certainly be added in future updates.

And do let us know here or through the accessibility customer service team of any feedback. Both are fine 🙂

Dave

This message was authored by julian+peter This message was authored by: julian+peter

Hello all.

I am looking for more news on the ScreenReader on the software update becouse I have reading difficultys and this feature will be helpful to me to find tv content to watch.

I heard that this shoud be completed by the end  of april becouse of my reason is there any chance this could  be done more quickly please..

Thank you

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @julian+peter 

Glad to hear this feature will be helpful for you. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do to get it to you sooner, but you will have it within a matter of weeks. It's rolling out in batches, so check your box once every week or two, and it'll be there by the end of April at the latest.

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that it is now possible to force a software update on the Sky Q box in order to get the latest version, including Voice Guidance.
This is not necessary, as you will get it automatically by the end of April, but is an option if you wish to get it sooner.

Important: Please note though that unlike the automatic update, the manual method may be difficult without sighted assistance, so please do not attempt if you cannot get assistance if you run into problems. Our call centre agents cannot do this remotely. Please see two methods below.

Method 1:
- Go to Settings, then System Info and highlight Software version.
- Choose Setup and then select Software download.
- Your box will start to download the latest software. This can take up to 10 minutes.
- To check the status of the software download, go to Settings, then System info and highlight Software version.
- When it says "Software update successful" press the Standby button on your remote.
- When your box restarts, follow the on screen messages. You'll then be on the latest software version.

Method 2:
- Locate the Q button on the front of your Sky Q box.
- This is the larger button towards the middle of the panel. The other button on the front is the WPS button, located over to the right of the panel.
- Press this button in and hold it.
- Then switch the power off from the mains, keeping the button pressed in.
- After 10 seconds, switch the power back on.
- After a further 3 seconds, release the button. This should initiate the software update.
- Give it at least 10 minutes to download and complete, and follow any on-screen messages. You may require sighted assistance at this point.

This message was authored by julian+peter This message was authored by: julian+peter

Hello. When using screan reading features two weeks ago was working when Dolby digital sound was active. Now is working only when you change sound to normal. Is there any way in the future to include it to work with Dolby digital? So you dont have to keep in changing it. Does this happen to everyone? Thank you

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @julian+peter Due to some technical constraints, at this time, Dolby 5.1 does not work when Voice Guidance is enabled. We are looking into whether this can be addressed in the future.

Nothing should have changed in the last two weeks though. If Dolby is enabled, and you then activate Voice Guidance, the Dolby should be automatically disabled.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion