Discussion topic: Sky Email Account Hacked - Help Required

This message was authored by Juice370 This message was authored by: Juice370

Sky Email Account Hacked - Help Required

(removed)

I'm a Sky account holder, but an elderly neighbour's Sky email account has been hacked and the hackers have contacted his entire contacts list (including me) and are scamming via an Apple gift card scam for £300 per contact. Multiple residents fell for the scam before I saw the email and had a chance to warn them. Sky Technical has fobbed him off for the last 24 hours, claiming they need expert help to regain access, which will take another 24 hours.  Isn't this a simple forced password reset process? Scam scenarios must be taken seriously because they can lead to devastating effects for the victims.

I have received the scam email as seen below...

"Glad to hear from you, I need you to get an Apple gift card for a friend's daughter who is down with cancer of the Liver. It's her birthday today and I promised to get it for her today, but I can't do this now because all my effort purchasing it online proved abortive. Can you get it from Amazon or any grocery stores around you? I'll reimburse you back as soon as possible. Kindly let me know if you can handle it. Name of account holder"

Please advise ASAP.

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Sky Email Account Hacked - Help Required

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The automatic forum software would have deleted your first attempt in error.

Login to the online account:

https://skyid.sky.com/signin/email/

Go to Settings > More Settings > Filters and remove anything that you did not setup.

Then go to Settings > More Settings > Mailboxes > Your email address > Reply-to address

And again remove anything here that you did not setup.

Then logout and change your password:

https://skyid.sky.com/resetpassword/

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

I doubt they've been hacked. More likely they've fallen for one of the many scams going around which leads to them logging into a fake website designed to capture their log in details.

As above, your neighbour can reset their password themselves. They might also want to consider setting up two step verification which requires a code to be sent to their mobile every time they log in.

This message was authored by kmcnally This message was authored by: kmcnally

They were hacked. The same thing happened to me, with the same email being sent to my contact list. And I have 2 step verification which the hackers got past. I managed to get my account back after a couple of days, but since lunchtime today I can't access my emails.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

The evidence from the forum suggests that actually being hacked is rare. Inadvertently giving away your login details via a fake login page is much commoner.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion