Discussion topic: sky glass causing packet loss

This message was authored by regwrg This message was authored by: regwrg

sky glass causing packet loss

as soon as sky glass gets turned on every other device on the network starts suffering from packet loss anywhere  from 1-15%, any suggestions on what i could do to fix it as this is making most online games pretty much unplayable.

All Replies

regwrg
Topic Author

Re: sky glass causing packet loss

Annotation 2023-01-07 020233.png

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@regwrg 

Does the router you are using support Quality of Service (QoS)? If so then you need to apply QoS for the impacted system by restricting the maximum bandwidth by MAC address for the Sky Glass TV.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
regwrg
Topic Author

Any chance you could talk me through it?Annotation 2023-01-07 110826.png

@regwrg 

Enable the QoS and set the game console for the highest priority. But restrict the bandwidth to about 25Mbps on the game console so you have 30Mbps or so for Sky Glass or you'll get the Sky Glass buffer otherwise if possible with the QoS implementation.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
regwrg
Topic Author

still getting 4% packet lossAnnotation 2023-01-07 113517.png

@regwrg 

One shouldn't change the downstream bandwidth on the complete connection which should stay at the default value.

Add an entry on QoS for Sky Glass for middle priority.

Can you let me see the advanced settings when you add an entry to QoS so I can see what can be controlled with its QoS implementation, please? This will enable me to see whether further fine-tuning is possible.

-------

regwrg
Topic Author

1.png

@regwrg 

One will need to slide up/down the slider for high priority and adjust the other 2 sliders for middle and lower priority accordingly until the Xbox works correctly, eg: it will be a bit of trial and error to get it to work correctly.

Also, I'd set the downstream bandwidth to 56Mbps and the upstream bandwidth to 8Mbps for the complete bandwidth on the system to see whether they improve the packet loss.

-------

regwrg
Topic Author

played around with the sliders and nothing affects effects the packet loss at all 

regwrg
Topic Author

is it possible its a fault with the tv itself? i should have more than enough bandwidth to have the tv on hd(not uhd ) mode and play games at the same time no?

@regwrg 

It may be a line fault as the upstream speed seems quite low but cannot tell 100% without seeing router stats from a Sky router for diagnostics?

-------

regwrg
Topic Author

downstream is  right for my broadband package

regwrg
Topic Author

i meant upstream, sky superfast fttc 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@regwrg  Could you post your router stats as @mae-3 asked to see if the issue can be seen.

Could you please post your router stats following the link below.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#M101...

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion