Discussion topic: sky glass causing packet loss

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: sky glass causing packet loss

@regwrg 

This is how the QoS works on the TP-Link https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1104/ paying attention that the NAT boost is switched off. And the figures I provided for downstream and upstream are set up correctly with figures of 10% less than the actual maximum downstream and upstream speed for the broadband.

Also, note you should not be gaming over wireless!

A set of router stats would be useful from the Sky router as requested, and a BQM from thinkbroadband to see whether the line is actually dropping packets.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
regwrg
Topic Author
This message was authored by regwrg This message was authored by: regwrg

so for the delay i'll plug the sky router in later tonight when everyones asleep. heres the bqm though70527559f82c544c6acd73f601269c3ffbe886ca-10-01-2023.png

regwrg
Topic Author

stats.png

@regwrg 

Well, the router stats are about right for the line length to the cabinet. One can see the packet loss on the BQM but it looks like amount of traffic on the WAN that is causing the issue when Sky Glass and Xbox is in operation. I'm surprised at that fact because it's performing at 58Mbps downstream unless games are being downloaded at the same time with all the other traffic?

The QoS settings on the TP-Link aren't working to there best and I'm wondering whether that can be improved with fine tuning but as you have tried that already and it has made zero different I'm uhsure where you go now! Did you turn off NAT boost on QoS system on TP-Link?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
regwrg
Topic Author

Havent been downloading anything recentley so thats not the issue, the packet loss only happens when the tv is on and disapears immediately after turning it off. I couldntt find nat boost in the router settings but i'll take another look when i plug it back in 

regwrg
Topic Author

could this setting maybe help? Annotation 2023-01-11 113103.pngiptv.png

@regwrg 

That IPTV setting would improve the streaming experience with Sky Glass and reduce the priority of the game console which is the opposite of what you want! So, disable IPTV traffic priority,

-------

regwrg
Topic Author

well in that case i have no ideas, my particular router doesnt seem to have a nat boost setting either. 

@regwrg 

Is the IPTV priority enabled currently if so disable it for it is the opposite of what you want. And ensure one has the latest firmware for the TP-Link router.

-------

regwrg
Topic Author

no it isnt enabled

@regwrg 

Unfortunately, the QoS setup on the TP-Link is inferior. The solution is to seek a QoS solution that uses Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) which will give one more significant control over traffic but these routers are more expensive. Asus Adaptive QoS is very good.

-------

regwrg
Topic Author

I think I've solved it by setting up a guest network on the tp link router and connecting the glass to it, done a few tests and getting 0% packet loss. Only time will tell though.

regwrg
Topic Author

so that ended up not working out, I ended up setting up a vlan just for the sky glass and limited the bandwidth to 15mbps and that fixed the packet loss on everything else but now the tv freezes constantly. any suggestions? raising the bandwidth to the tv didnt help either so im clueless now.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@regwrg if you want to watch in UHD you need roughly 30Mb/s but HD should be fine at 15Mb/s. Not sure why you are having issues but by segmented the network has proved the issue isnt the Sky Glass. Sounds like a line issue frankly.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@regwrg 

Does the VLAN have a priority setting if so set it to 7 (highest) for the Sky Glass and bandwidth limit at 15Mbps (HD) or 30Mbps (UHD) and see whether that makes a difference?

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion