Discussion topic: internet, ping increase packet loss

AlexROBO1986
Topic Author
This message was authored by AlexROBO1986 This message was authored by: AlexROBO1986

Re: internet, ping increase packet loss

the ping plotter gragh literally shows spikes every so often. over a ten minute period. during a 45-1hour game would be way worse. which ill get from a proper game later if i can. there is a problem somewhere... as this same pc ive used at my rents house and it was running perfect. 20ms 0 packetloss that was through bt.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@AlexROBO1986 

Are you using the same ethernet cable and router at the BT site, those are the things left to test, check and replace.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
AlexROBO1986
Topic Author
This message was authored by AlexROBO1986 This message was authored by: AlexROBO1986

wired connection as stated. and i can get a screen shot of the ingame packloss.IMG_4149.JPGIMG_4148.JPG

AlexROBO1986
Topic Author

same pc and ethernet cable are used when at my rents, and no issues what so ever. so narrows it down to sky.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AlexROBO1986 

What spikes? The min & max values are expected to be far apart, you are looking for the 'Avg' value to see whether that is high.

I've just run a pingplotter to the same IP address you used and have seen the same spread as you with a small amount of packet loss on the same hop as you. The difference with mine is that i dont have any packet loss on my LAN hop whereas you do.

If your LAN isnt the issue then I suggest the problem is the game server IP you are using since my test isnt even using Sky broadband and I've seen packet loss on the same hop.

2022-06-07 17_20_28-.png

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Almost the same looking graph too.

2022-06-07 17_25_13-PingPlotter Free.png

I am NOT a Sky Employee
AlexROBO1986
Topic Author

yeh the same.... i must be blind as there totally different. fair few spikes and ping spikes from 23ms to 64ms.... shows an issue. to be blunt without sounding like a "insert word" ive been online gaming and using pc's  since 99 used many different services bt sky virgin media ntlworld. and its pretting  easy with noticing a problem with a internet connection using a fair few ways to try and spot problems my end updating drivers different computers( my gaming laptop also produces the same as my pc). to narrow down my end as a problem. which all the times ive had any problem has been the ISP, which in probs most cases on this forum and other ISP forums it has been. this is written in a genuin way not a complete dosch way fyi haha cheers for both your help either way i may have to go down the route of the engineers etc etc...

same lol.jpg

@AlexROBO1986 

Gaming since 1981 on a BBC micro, spectrum, PC, etc... through the years and working in computers and telecommunications since that date but of course, if you found an issue that needs addressing please feel free to contact Sky.

And clearly identify where it is because what you've shown so far is packet loss at hop 1 to the router which is internal premises (computer, cable or router), there is also slight packet loss at another hop but that's within acceptable parameters being below 2% for any network.

ICMP is a low priority for routers and packets take different routes around the internet, so you do see some variations on graphs of +/- 5ms say may be higher for any route to a router and the time it takes to reply when resources are available at the router and actual distance. Of course, routes around the internet cannot ever be guaranteed to take the shortest route in distance. And ICMP isn't used for games; it's actually UDP or TCP packets.

An ICMP 8ms jump from the previous date is as I stated down to probably DLM interleaving for the broadband line, unavoidable, unfortunately.

The router stats look excellent for the broadband line, by the way.

Good luck with getting the issue fixed. 😀

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Chantalph This message was authored by: Chantalph

i cam across this feed and been rading it... i have been having ping issues for about 2/3 weeks now... not long had new sky installed and wasd working well... but now a couple months in started getting request time outs and packet spikes.. ping ploter.png

i have a good friend who is and network enginner and is now telling me to contact sky as looks like there has to be an issue with the line...

i have replaced cables and also factory rest the routor.. updated all drivers and even gone to the point of a fresh copy of windows..... but still getting the network issue...

@Chantalph 

That graph suggests your getting the ping spikes and packet loss at your local network level which suggests a problem with your device, the ethernet cable or the router itself, not the line. Unless of course your using WiFi in which case the problem is very likely to be WiFi. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Chantalph This message was authored by: Chantalph

nope not using wifi and all cables have used are what sky gave and i have even got new ones and got same issue..... i have reset the router so much now i can do it with my eyes closed

@Chantalph 

Ping plotter is a terrible tool it relies on the timing of ICMP and some routers don't prioritise ICMP. This isn't a fault of the router or your broadband router and usually in most cases isn't something to worry about, it is more done to sell more copies of ping plotter!

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion