Discussion topic: internet, ping increase packet loss

This message was authored by AlexROBO1986 This message was authored by: AlexROBO1986

internet, ping increase packet loss

Hi, noticed lately during games i play theres a big increase in my ping and packetloss just wondering if anything on line end wise could be causing this, below is stat info

also on sky sr203 router. kind regards alex

all good.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: internet, ping increase packet loss

@AlexROBO1986 

How are you measuring the packet loss and increased latency (ping), and how are you establishing the distance between servers and remote players?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@AlexROBO1986 

And the router stats are showing a good broadband line at maximum for a 40/10Mbps broadband line profile.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
AlexROBO1986
Topic Author
This message was authored by AlexROBO1986 This message was authored by: AlexROBO1986

numerous games, can display packet loss and ping connection, uk on valorant for instance was 22/23 average now its 30+ london server, and same for the likes of apex, london server 25/26 varies atm around 40+ and packet loss can go from 30/40 a game to 4000 depends, where weeks ago was around 5/10 if that. its weird cause ive recently renewed my contract and it was on point bet ive had it and few weeks after its like this.

AlexROBO1986
Topic Author

@This message was authored by:mae-3 also thanks for your hastly responce

@AlexROBO1986 

With the connection, drops by the broadband line can often result in a slight increase in latency because of interleaving by broadband line management and that would account for an increase of say about 10ms. For the 4000ms latency that may be an issue with the line or wireless if the game console/PC is connected by that method? If you are connected by wireless then you need to run an ethernet cable to the game console/PC, wireless isn't a good option even if it worked before without issue.

-------

AlexROBO1986
Topic Author

its not 4000ms latency, its loss of packets.  so for every packet of information sent from me to the server, some are dropped. i have out bound on so its my end failing to send the packets of information. and my pc is wired connection.

@AlexROBO1986 

Sky will only explore an issue with the broadband line or route to the server that has more than a 10% packet loss, contact Sky directly if this is the case.

-------

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @AlexROBO1986 

Few questions 

- What device are you gaming on?

- Is the device connected via WiFi or ethernet? If ethernet is it direct to the router or through some sort of booster/Powerline adapter?

- What game is it?

- Can you post some ping/packet loss results?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
AlexROBO1986
Topic Author

sorry for late response, and as stated above im on a pc, connected throught ethernet no boosters or anything and i can get some pics of the packet loss etc no problem had 4000 packetloss the other day but forgot to save it. will collect some and below is some speedtest results ive had over the course of years and got worse as its went along, and noticeable increase in ping. usually around 20ish, then 25+ now im 31+ on uk servers as the recent firmware has been updated on my router. literally the day it updated ive seen an increase in ping. as below speed test results same server and distance 8ms increase. did a ping plotter while playing a game and every so ofter packetloss and ping jumps. next one i play ill save paste below.

got worse.jpg

@AlexROBO1986 

Do these tests seem to show that you are testing over wireless with the symbol in the left-hand column?

-------

@AlexROBO1986 

And an 8ms increase in latency isn't anything to worry about its likely owing to wireless or DLM interleaving on the line and the latter is controlled by line management to achieve a better latency in this respect the line needs to be absolutely stable for more than a week before it'll lower the figure.

From what I've seen so far I cannot see a fault...?

-------

AlexROBO1986
Topic Author

tests done throught my pc, which is connected direct to the computer stated above. just done a quick 10min game and thats the ping plotter result.poor 10min game.jpg

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AlexROBO1986 

The only noteworthy packetloss you have is to the Sky hub on the first hop so your issue looks to be either the PC, Cable or router 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@AlexROBO1986 

You have to be careful with pingplotter the first hop is often shown incorrectly I've noticed from people posting on the forum on more than a few occasions. But do check the ethernet cable, and confirm the correct fitting of the plugs into the respective ethernet sockets, etc.. as suggested by @jamesn123 and especially because the tests of speed, etc... seem to show you are using wireless and this would be the case as the PC if it has a wireless card would use it if the ethernet cable or connection didn't engage correctly in the ethernet sockets.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion