Discussion topic: Worst broadband i've had....

This message was authored by MichellH This message was authored by: MichellH

Worst broadband i've had....

I recently switched over from Virgin to Sky broadband simply due to Virgin drastically increasing their monthly price. I have been a customer of sky for 18 years and sky broadband for about 6 weeks. I already cannot wait to cancel this contract. I should be getting up to 60mbps with a minimum guaranteed of 37mbps. After countless broadband speed tests I am receiving no more than 10mbps on a good day. With the speeds aside, the router also has a very weak signal range, we struggle to get any signal in rooms just a few metres away from where the router is situated. Even bedrooms above where the router is situated get 2/4 bars signal. So with speeds being awful, signal being awful. I have no choice but to cancel. Unless someone can help fix my issue and get me the 37mbps guaranteed with no dropouts. Unfortunately Sky don't use fibre optic in my area either.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Worst broadband i've had....

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MichellH  You are not talking to Sky Customer servoices, nor will they respond to your forum post.

Your issue won't just be fixed on the back of a forum post or on the back of threats to cancel, thats just not how things work.

How are you doing your speeds test?  Over wifi or ethernet?

If you could also please post your router stats https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717

If you are getting 37mbps then you are on FTTC which is fibre to the cabinet.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MichellH 

The Guaranteed Minimum Download speed is that delivered from the internet to the Hub, not what the Hub produces over WiFi (which from a Q Hub may not be great).  Unfortunately no ISP using Openreach copper infrastructure can deliver anything like the speed bands which Virgin makes available over its private coaxial network.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

There are potentially two reasons you don't see the speed you expect.

Firstly, the external connection over the phone line to your Hub my not be performing well.

Secondly, your internal connection from your devices to your Hub via WiFi may have issues.

Best thing to do it try to determine which issue you have (worst case could be both).

To identify where your problem lies, log into your Hub and coy and paste the modem statistics here.

This will help indicate if your external connection is working as it should.

Secondly, try connecting directly to the Hub with an Ethernet cable and speed test like that.

This will give you an indication of what your speed can achieve.

If your external connection is good, then there are things you can do to improve your internal WiFi.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion