Discussion topic: Upgrading to ultrafast plus. I’ve had a cable delivered. Should I have a new router too?

This message was authored by DY1 This message was authored by: DY1

Upgrading to ultrafast plus. I’ve had a cable delivered. Should I have a new router too?

I've had an ether net cable delivered but no new router. Is this correct please? Normally with an upgrade there is a new router too.

Thank you 

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Upgrading to ultrafast plus. I’ve had a cable delivered. Should I have a new router too?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Highlinder 

Yes. I reckon any firmware updates are router side any way so they have to be

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Upgrading to ultrafast plus. I’ve had a cable delivered. Should I have a new router too?

@DY1  What did you upgrade from and to? Also which router do you have at this time from the link below.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/broadband-diagnostic-which-sky-hub 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
DY1
Topic Author

Hi,

thank you for responding.

i currently have super fast and am upgrading to ultrafast plus.

I currently have the sky broadband hub.

DY1

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@DY1 

The sr203 is suitable for both fttc and fttp . The difference is you use the ethernet to plug into the ont instead of the dsl into your mastersocket

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

DY1
Topic Author

Thank you for your reply. 
that's a lot of acronyms that  I don't understand but I think I read your answer as I have all the equipment I need with the ether cable?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@DY1 

With ultrafast you get an fibre optic modem (ont) below

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

You then attach the ethernet cable you received from the ont port to lan port 4 marked wan.  This setup bypasses the inbuilt dsl modem .  So effectively the hub (modem router) becomes a router only

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@cookiemonsterukNot on ultrafast, I take it the firmware is the same on superfast to ultrafast on the Sky broadband hub?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Highlinder 

Yes. I reckon any firmware updates are router side any way so they have to be

DY1
Topic Author

Will open reach bring this with them? I don't have the fibre optic modem in your picture 

@DY1 

@DY1 wrote:

Will open reach bring this with them? I don't have the fibre optic modem in your picture 

Yep.  That will be installed on or before activation day

DY1
Topic Author

That's great.

Thank you @cookiemonsteruk @Highlinder  for your help

DY1

@cookiemonsterukNice to know that all I would need in my case if I upgrade to ultrafast would the install of an ONT, as the cable pull has already been done up to the edge of my property.

@Highlinder 

@Highlinder wrote:

@cookiemonsterukNice to know that all I would need in my case if I upgrade to ultrafast would the install of an ONT, as the cable pull has already been done up to the edge of my property.

Good to know. They've done the mdu drop boxes where i iive and granted way leave for digging up the carpark yet no sign of OR yet to drop down from the telegraph poles and duct it in

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion