Discussion topic: Wifi Max user review

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Wifi Max user review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@John+B1 

I'd add that Sky is now supplying the Max Hub as standard for all Ultrafast broadband connections because it's what they have stock of: the previous model was released in 2019.

The Max service brings Parental Controls which will be of value to some households.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Robb0 This message was authored by: Robb0

My Ultrafast Plus (500) went live yesterday after moving from Virgin. Was sent the Sky Max Hub which surprised me as I didn't pay the extra. 

Rock solid so far. Even better than my Google WiFi mesh that I had previously, including my outside camera doorbell.

Hear on the forum of horror stories but that's not been my case at all. Maybe the bricks in my house (semi detached 1930 odd) are made of dust, but the whole house is covered fine.

This message was authored by John+B1 This message was authored by: John+B1

So in reality there is no reason to have wifi max for those who have Q.

Thanks for the comments

This message was authored by Chasloyal This message was authored by: Chasloyal

@John+B1 have you considered asking if there's any point to you having Wi-Fi 6?

LG OLED evo C3 77, Sky Q 2TB, EE Full Fibre 500, EE Smart Hub Plus, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch OLED Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Edition, PS4 Pro 500 Million Edition, Sonos Arc, Two Sonos Subs Gen 3, Two Sonos Era 300s.

No, because there is if all the equiptment is compatable. Here the issue is Sky are offering WiFi max with old equipment which is not able to give you any of the features you may pay extra for.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Robb0 wrote:

Was sent the Sky Max Hub which surprised me as I didn't pay the extra. 

As I mentioned above, Sky is now supplying the Max Hub hardware unit for all new Ultrafast broadband connections: realistically it's likely that they just have more of those in stock than the 2019 Sky Broadband Hub which is the other FTTP-compatible model.

The WiFi Max service is an extra cost add-on: that includes the option to claim booster 'pods', the Parental Controls and (supposedly) 'AI-powered internet security'.

@John+B1 sarcasm is clearly not your strong point 🙄 

LG OLED evo C3 77, Sky Q 2TB, EE Full Fibre 500, EE Smart Hub Plus, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch OLED Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Edition, PS4 Pro 500 Million Edition, Sonos Arc, Two Sonos Subs Gen 3, Two Sonos Era 300s.

@John+B1 

You may be misunderstanding: the potential advantage is if any of the household equipment is WiFi 6.  Hardware specified to that standard (802.11ax) gets the benefit of it from the Max Hub, while previous generation hardware does not and will connect as 802.11ac, 802.11n, 802.11g or whatever.

WiFi 6 is a set of hardware specification and software protocols: it's not something a user has to switch on or off.

Don't appreciate the comnent. 

If you can't be polite and have nothing nice to say then don't comment.

These conversations don't have emotion in them. Only trying to find out info so all can benefit.

You don't seem to understand that concept.

Yes, I do understand that.

For my situation I need the other elements to be able to get wifi all over the house. Could not rely on the router alone. So the only point I could get wifi 6 would be off of the router.

So until Sky upgrade all the other Q components there is no real reason to have wifi max.  I am sure though they will never do that. Thanks for your contribution . Much appreciated.

@John+B1 wrote:

So until Sky upgrade all the other Q components there is no real reason to have wifi max.  I am sure though they will never do that. 

Q will become obsolete when satellite television broadcasting to the UK ceases: that's likely to happen before the end of this decade.  This makes it extremely unlikely there will ever be a new Q hardware release, particularly as Sky under Comcast ownership now has Stream (which is WiFi 6 ; )

Completely agree.

@John+B1 you've already been told you kept repeating yourself by someone else though.

I'm sorry that my patience was running a bit thin with your impersonation of an African Grey Parrot, God forgive me 🙏 

When someone can only contribute by criticism and insult. It says a lot about that person. 

I need say nothing else.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@John+B1 wrote:

So what's the point of having wifi max in the first place?

Recent wireless devices are WiFi 6: 802.11ac chipset manufacturing has basically ceased.

The specification for Q is eight years old.

Wireless chipsets for 802.11ac are still in production and the Sky Max Pods use that standard, 802.11ac so what are you talking about regarding manufacturing ceased? 😉

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion