Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by adwarduk This message was authored by: adwarduk

Re: WiFi Max

@Chrisee @Chimpishuk im just waiting for the call today but I'm starting to believe I made a mistake going max. The streams same as yours often have a no WiFi on startup sometimes need just a select to connect a few times a full reconnect I've found it's the stream unit that could connect to the pod of borderline router that does it.  I'll see what happens. Based on the age of this firmware I'd hope there would be something new coming soon. 

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏
This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

@adwarduk @Chrisee 

My main issues with the new broadband product at present are:

1.  Devices do not auto connect to the pod when in range and clearly providing a stronger signal.

2.  Static devices configured with WiFi haven't moved to the pod for connectivity even though they would clearly receive a stronger signal and speed.

3.  Sky does not appear to be reporting or aware that that I'm running the Sky WiFi max with 1xPod on the backend.

4.  Sky are unable to show my current Broadband product from the Sky website.

5. Sky are unable to predict my future bills since I installed the new router and pod.

6. The MySky app does not show devices connected to my pod.

For info my pod is wired into ethernet upstairs over cat6 cabling.

General issues with Sky presently:

1.  I am unable to cancel Lionsgate plus trial from the any of the my three stream boxes, from the Sky website and Lionsgate refuse to cancel as they insist that this is the responsibility of Sky.  Sky support are unable to cancel  Lionsgate plus after several phonecalls and is currently with the back office team for over a week at this point.

2. Reporting of the lack of auto connection to strongest signal device has not led to any significant help or support. I'm hoping for a firmware update.

3. The mysky section of the sky website shows that my account is in good standing with no outstanding balances. My bills are paid on time every month by auto card payment.  However, should I attempt to add or remove any services (including channel services, mobiles, tablets and glass tv etc) from my account I'm told that my account is in arrears and my services are restricted and my account may be terminated due to non payment. I have been reporting this to sky support for five months without resolution and unknown amounts of escalation to the back office team. Although Sky confirm my account is in good standing with no late payments and no services are restricted.

4. Reporting and asking Sky about the broadband backend issue ie. they are not aware or reporting what broadband devices or services I have had been observed by Sky support and escalated to backoffice support and remains unresolved.

5.  The sky representatives are not effectively adding notes or they are not reading them on the continuous calls I make.  Getting through to any department can take up to 40 minutes. My last call to Sky was over 1hr 50mins and spoke to two departments, I was passed to a third team and gave up after waiting a further 25 minutes onhold.

6. Representatives promising callbacks are not calling me back.

7. I'm a Sky VIP customer and feel like the customer service is getting worse.

I feel utterly frustrated and there is no means to escalate the number and seriousness of the list of issues.  I'm fed up of calling sky support to hear that pretty much every issue is escalated to backoffice support. A mysterious department that customers cannot speak to under any circumstances.

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.
This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

@adwarduk @Chrisee 

I've had a couple of calls now.

They wanted me to try non hard wiring my pod. Which didn't make a difference.

The guy I'm dealing with seems resolution driven. And I feel that he is at least staying in contact with me.  They're trying to charge me £103 for my broadband in September this month. They really messed up on the ordering, the product, the account....there is obviously a known issue firmware wise with the pods and how they're communicating with mobile devices and the router. Autonegotiatiom isn't working.

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.

@Chimpishuk  @Chrisee - well had a late call back yesterday as the lady I've been dealing with is off sick and the new guy only wanted to close the issue, told him under no uncertain terms that was to happen and I was OK waiting for a call back when the lady returned and tbh he almost got arsy.   My systems rebooted twice the last two nights in the early hours no firmware changes just an even more broken mesh in the morning needing pod restarts.  Definitely feels like an early beta / rushed product. Maybe sky should use the trislists more and not just the in house ones more, or listen to the feedback more etc.  I'll give the teams a little while more to fix the issues but have a feeling this will all be getting sent back as not fit for purpose. 

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏

@adwarduk @Chrisee 

The Saga continues.  The closing down of tickets has been an issue for me too. It seems like agents are more concerned with hitting somekind of internal SLA (service level agreement) than root cause analysis and change controls for full resolution.

The guy I'm dealing with knows he can't [removed] me because I've over 20 years experience with fibre, switching, enterprise WiFi, wintel, full TCP stack and senior troubleshooting and RCA. 

He's actually a decent fella and seems committed to resolving.  I even mentioned you guys with the backhaul and various issues

I told him they're not charging me from the 25.07.23 either because it was @adwarduk who actually got me up and running with the SSID issue by toggling security settings and that I've not heard much else since in terms of analysis, troubleshooting, firmware upgrades.

And I'm still not happy to pay for it because the autoneg for mobile devices such as phones, iPads, kindle Sonos move still isn't moving to the more efficient device (single pod over ethernet). Even when my phone for example is two feet away from the pod.

Push for compensation. I don't mind alpha/beta testing but I'm not doing it for free.

Moderator note: language removed

@Chimpishuk @Chrisee  likewise the lady who's got my ticket is really good very technically knowledgeable and in no way was going to close the ticket (just the new chap didn't read the notes the usual stuff) I will be going for compensation that's for certain.  The pods definitely dont yet support WiFi 6 either for me not a massive issue but it's advertised as supporting it I believe.  Likewise I don't mind testing etc in fact I quite enjoy and most times you do it the companies give a ty normally free service that ur testing etc etc. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@adwarduk why do you think the system is not supporting wifi 6? Sorry you and @Chimpishuk are having issues with support not sure what  is going on myself as the silence is defeaning. 

As it happens Sky asked me to re-install the Sky Max gear this afternoon while they run some remote diagnostics. It certainly seems far more stable than it was and devices appear to be roaming but its early days. In general coverage appears better and its definitely faster. I have looked at signal strength at various points and while last week these bounced around they now appear far more stable. The firmware version hasn't changed so its quite confusing.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee  @Chimpishuk  connect to the router definitely wifi6 and shows on the scan & devices,  connect to the pods no WiFi 6. Tbh for me like I said not a massive issue but I can see people raising it.  I've zero issues helping with helping resolve stuff heck I quite enjoy it but when you do and have spent time doing it and a support person just wants to close the ticket it stings a bit. 

@adwarduk wrote: I've zero issues helping with helping resolve stuff heck I quite enjoy it but when you do and have spent time doing it and a support person just wants to close the ticket it stings a bit. 

I agree describes how Infeel at the moment. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

Has Sky confirmed there will NEVER be router control outside of the Sky App for this product?

Fantastically Autistic

@adwarduk assuming the pods are the same as the Comcast units they will be Wifi 5 but triband AC3000 so should be pretty fast. See https://approvedmodems.org/xfi-pods-review/

@Aurynfire nobody can answer that question as it is certainly possible the web interface could be re-programmed but it is highly unlikely as  Sky seem to be copying Comcast in using app control.

If you expect an unlocked interface you could be waiting sometime. 

This message was authored by Privatepyle-11 This message was authored by: Privatepyle-11

The hub is wifi 6, the pods are wifi 5

Sky just need to be careful as they're advertising the system as wifi 6, for me personally I don't mind wifi 5 on the pods as long as the backhaul is stable which the system isn't & the mesh works correctly which it doesn't but again all fixable with firmware 🙂 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@adwarduk 

Whether wifi 5 to wifi 6 via firmware depends on the hardware of the Pods.

Even though wifi 6 uses different effective modulation the two standards aren't that different in performance, eg: about a 25-30% gain in speed. It would have been better to go 6Ghz in wifi 6e for backhaul. DFS 5Ghz wireless bands for backhaul usually mean issues in some areas...

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion