Discussion topic: Was I told I was getting downgraded?

This message was authored by Jonny1337 This message was authored by: Jonny1337

Was I told I was getting downgraded?

I'm supposed to be on 'Sky Fiber Max' getting download speeds of between 60-76 MBps this is an older package, after some digging Ive found I'm now capped at 59 Mbps which is the speed of the newer 'Sky Broadband Superfast' package.

My question is, was I told I was getting nerfed and missed it or does sky now owe me free broadband every month?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Was I told I was getting downgraded?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jonny1337 

I'd suggest you'll want to review your Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed: if that's over 59Mbs then you can book an Openreach check through Sky.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jonny1337 

Typically no current FTTC package is 'capped' by an ISP.  They buy wholesale at either 'up to' 40Mbs or 80Mbs: the critical factor for speed then becomes the copper line distance from the fibre cabinet to the subscription address.

If you post your Hub stats, we'll have some information about your particular phone line and internet connection to work with.

Note that it's speed arriving at the Hub which counts against the minimum speed guarantee, not speed test website results on a wireless device.

Jonny1337
Topic Author

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 16.37.08.png

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jonny1337 

59176 Kbs inbound / 17887 Kbs outbound: those look like pretty native results (i.e. the speed resulting from an 'up to' 80Mbs service being reduced by line length).  59Mbs would be the expected speed after about 500 metres of 'phone line' transit.

FTTC-speed-against-distance.png

Jonny1337
Topic Author

The cabinet is literally right outside the door of the apartment block im in but that does explain things, it just looked a little dodgy that the max speed on one of skys newer packages was 59Mbps.

Plus I always get this: 

Screenshot 2022-09-29 165226.png

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Jonny1337 

I'd suggest you'll want to review your Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed: if that's over 59Mbs then you can book an Openreach check through Sky.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion