Discussion topic: Waiting for Internet Installation OpenReach without any clear dates

This message was authored by HenkKoopman This message was authored by: HenkKoopman

Waiting for Internet Installation OpenReach without any clear dates

Hi everyone,

I've been waiting for my internet connection for about 1.5 months now, and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Sky says the issue is with OpenReach, as they need to carry out some work, but there is no clear timeline for when this will happen. It could take a few more weeks or even longer, and I haven’t received any updates.

I work from home a lot, so this is becoming a really difficult situation for me. My mobile hotspot is unreliable, and I don’t have any stable Wi-Fi signals from neighbors to use either. To make matters worse, Sky says I can't use the existing copper line because I’m a new customer, even though the previous owner was using it without any problems.

Sky hasn’t offered me any alternative solutions, and I’m really not sure what to do at this point. Has anyone else experienced something similar? How did you handle it? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Waiting for Internet Installation OpenReach without any clear dates

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HenkKoopman sounds like the engineers cannot get an optical signal on the fibre in your road. Given the system from the exchange is entirely passive somewhere between the two the wrong fibre is connected to an optical splitter somewhere. 

When you install literallybthousands of connections each week mistakes get made unfortunately you are one of the unlucky ones. Youbshould  be due compensation though see Customer Auto-Compensation | Sky Help | Sky.com

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@HenkKoopman you are certainly not the first to report similar issues. Where Openreach have run fibre to your road they are very reluctant to allow a new broadband contract over the old copper line which is due to be decommissioned at some point. Often the last few yards of fibre to your home pose an issue.

if you put your full address into the following checker and post the result including the first 3 lines of the notes after obscuring thecreferencecto your address forum members should be able to see what the could be causing the hold up  Openreach Checker

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
HenkKoopman
Topic Author
This message was authored by HenkKoopman This message was authored by: HenkKoopman

Thanks, that interesting.

Basicaly what its telling me is that my home is in an area where fibre (FTTP) is the main internet option, and older services like ADSL are being phased out. I can order FTTP for fast internet, and if I need a fibre modem (ONT), an engineer will come to install it. The report is telling me that the focus is on fibre, and other options are limited to special circumstances.

I guess, my situation is not really an exception, so it feels like I have to sit this one out and wait with my poor connection until OpenReach decides to perform the work. 😞 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@HenkKoopman 

If you could copy and paste the notes it may give an explanation of the delay

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
HenkKoopman
Topic Author

This is a part of the messages from Sky (Im not sure if this is what you are looking for, please tell me if it should be something else)

26 Sep 2024 07:37 AM

Hi, just a quick update on your order. Openreach have told us they're currently allocating wires in the exchange that will test the cabling that serves your home for any faults. Once completed, more work may be needed before we can give you an appointment date for your installation engineer. Don't worry, your billing for Broadband and Talk won't start until your services have been activated. We're already working hard to get your order back on track, and we'll text you when new updates are available. You can view new updates & messages in here (My messages) We will contact Openreach again and provide you the latest update by 02/10/2024

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@HenkKoopman sounds like the engineers cannot get an optical signal on the fibre in your road. Given the system from the exchange is entirely passive somewhere between the two the wrong fibre is connected to an optical splitter somewhere. 

When you install literallybthousands of connections each week mistakes get made unfortunately you are one of the unlucky ones. Youbshould  be due compensation though see Customer Auto-Compensation | Sky Help | Sky.com

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion