Discussion topic: Voice light goes amber frequently.

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

Re: Voice light goes amber frequently.

@Kev205  DDNS & DNS are not the same, 

The dns settings can't be changed on sky's routers!

A dns edit needs to de done on the client device! 

A quick Google on how to change the dns on your device ? should point you in the right direction, 

The reason for my post had been the frequency & times of the dropouts, all to familiar to me. 

dns issues are just a possible cause,

but unfortunately I'm unable test!

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by phillipspd This message was authored by: phillipspd

Installed the new Router on Saturday, then spent about 2 hours going through every device connecting them to it. I know, I could have use the previous SSID. 

22:25 just now (Sunday), orange lights comes on, everything goes off. 

Guess it's yet another call to Sky tomorrow, waste some more time with them...

This message was authored by Consider+leaving This message was authored by: Consider+leaving

Had sky broadband for years. No problem. Worked perfectly through lock down. 7 February all changed. I think I could now be a qualified sky engineer. Cannot understand how I can hear Teams calls perfectly yet all I get is "err, you've frozen, can't hear you" I can hear everything. 

had a range of open reach and sky engineers round, upgraded to ultra fast, now I get to see an amber light on "voice" more often than not. Had 4 different routers in 5 months. 2 of the new 4 port routers. I have the joy of spending the weekend ahead resetting the password to the router so it forgets all my devices and reconnecting them to see whether any of them are the problem and recording the bandwidth after each one. This is after last weekend being told to hold the reset button for 30 seconds as it will make all my devices forget my router. Wrong. 

I have been told many things by different sky personnel. If they were consistent and didn't make things up that would be a start. Numerous promises to stay with me til the issue is resolved but then they don't call back. I now work on an ancient work phone hotspot and is a million times better than sky. They've told me my problem could be something that's happening in my neighbours house. Anyone recommend virgin? With the "voice" bit being a problem, anyone that uses open reach will continue to have the same, I guess?

This message was authored by RCV8206 This message was authored by: RCV8206

I have been having the exact same issue so set up my old internet provider's router, thought the issue was cured but unfortunately it came back on Tuesday night (usual symptoms minus the amber voice light obviously). It's getting to a point now that I'm seriously considering paying early termination fees and leaving Sky altogether, they won't admit to the problem and the only solution they can come up with is to send another router instead of actually looking into it

This message was authored by Kev205 This message was authored by: Kev205

When I had an engineer around, she had issues with finding the problem. One issue she found was my canary security cameras trying to constantly connect. So they were switching to 5ghz and 2.5ghz and was messing with the router. I've changed to ring, but I still have intermittent issues. I do have about 25 WiFi connections but apparently that shouldn't be an issue. They're on borrowed time before I leave.  

This message was authored by SiG72 This message was authored by: SiG72

It's happening again to me. 

Does anyone from Sky read these forums? There must be over 100 posts on this problem now and nothing from Sky to acknowledge that there is a problem. 👎🏻

This message was authored by Consider+leaving This message was authored by: Consider+leaving

After posting before, I set out on Saturday to change the password on the router to forget my 14 devices, reload and log the bandwidth. I didn't have a stable enough connection to complete this. I decided that, as this was my instruction I should try again so set out again Sunday. Changed the password and started to reload. Then I realised after 3 devices that this was pointless. The inconsistency and the fact I could use the internet, albeit for limited time, with all 14 devices connected made me realise this was fruitless. So. Tried to change password back. No chance. Phoned Sky, got through to someone who I thought was very convincing in their knowledge. He was very committed and knowledgable. Sadly I have only been able to use my hotspot for the last two days. He did call me back when he said he would last night (near hero!) and has escalated (!) my case. I rarely get to see my router given its in the hall and I am upstairs in the office, yet have 2 pages of A5 notebook recording the amber voice light. It's been 6 months. They should call me by the weekend as are "monitoring my line". Let's see if any of it matches with my log. I'll give them one week. Think I'm heading to BT unless anyone thinks that will give me the same problem?

This message was authored by Bubba20 This message was authored by: Bubba20

Hi Guys, I have had this issue since changing to sky with the new Sky glass package..  As you all have experienced the amber light on and loose connection. I have done the obvious and it still happens occasionally.. Last night a check was done, no fault found. low and behold ten minuets later the amber talk came on and connection lost. I unplugged the main phone line and plugged back in. this imediatly brought everything back to normal. I will talk to sky later to let them know.. one thing they mention, I did not have a filter fitted. I dont know if I need one as the engineer fitted a new main phone point and new line outside. I am going to fit a filter and see how it goes.

This message was authored by Masher- This message was authored by: Masher-

You shouldn't need a filter for your phone line if it's an internet phone. Those are for the old days where the line in needed to be split into both a landline and internet. 

I never had issues with my old internet provider, that phone was landline. Since I moved to sky and went internet phone I've had this issue. I don't have sky glass and I'm using skys router. 

As a side note a friend of mine had the same sky box and didn't have this issue, until he upgraded to sky glass. On his first evening he repeatedly had orange voice light and gets it regularly since that upgrade. 

This has to be something on skys side of the house. Are they forcing patches through in the evenings? Whatever is happening it needs sorting out, it's bloody frustrating as the tester in the sky app won't pick this fault up, so it's difficult to get meaningful reports on it. 

This message was authored by MurphysFlaw This message was authored by: MurphysFlaw

I've had 900mb for about 2 months now and I'm seeing this around once every 2 weeks. I'm going to try switching to Google's DNS on one of my clients and will report back if it works 

This message was authored by phillipspd This message was authored by: phillipspd

Mine had been working well for several days, then last night at 23:00...

2022-08-14_17-37-36.png

Nothing useful at all in the Router logfiles,

This message was authored by SiG72 This message was authored by: SiG72

And it's gone off again. 

How can things be escalated into Sky? Is there a way to get someone to investigate these problems? Phoning up and telling them about the problem leads to nothing. 

This message was authored by Anthonyh1976 This message was authored by: Anthonyh1976

Just want to add my name to the list.

I've been having this issue for months - voice connection drops and so does the internet even though all lights are green (except voice) and connection status shows the router being connected.

Had a replacement router yesterday and it happened again tonight.

This is similar to a DHCP issue that was doing the rounds a year or so ago.

If I don't get any joy from Sky I might pop the Rasberry Pi back on as the DHCP server to see if that makes a difference.

This message was authored by Digitaljunior This message was authored by: Digitaljunior

I'm getting the same amber VOIP light once or twice a week.

SKY did say it was down to the router obtaining a new IP address.

The suggested fix was turn router and openreach box off 20 mins - boot up white openreach box then SKY router.  It didn't work so openreach engineer coming on Monday.

i'm thinking of moving to BT or EE TBH

I had the orange light late last night. Called Sky today. Apparently, the issue is because my Router is too low to the floor and the cables to it weren't loose. I'd used cable ties to keep them all tidy. The Router is now about 1m off the floor and the cables are all hanging loose. Not holding my breath. . 

I too am looking at moving to EE. Strange that every other provider can offer 500mb and better, but Sky tell me their fastest fibre isn't available at my address. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion