Discussion topic: Upload speed on Sky Broadband Gigafast

This message was authored by Chrisk1970 This message was authored by: Chrisk1970

Upload speed on Sky Broadband Gigafast

Switch to Gigafast a couple of weeks ago. Download speeds within a day went up but upload speeds have stayed roughly the same!??  Shouln't I being getting 90 MB\s upload??

Untitled.png

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Upload speed on Sky Broadband Gigafast

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chrisk1970Was this speed test done on a device connectted by Ethernet and Wi-Fi?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Chrisk1970
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chrisk1970 This message was authored by: Chrisk1970

Ethernet Highliner! 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Chrisk1970What speed are you supposed to get as an upload. Could you check via the Sky app to what speed you are supposed to get between on upload please.

Chrisk1970
Topic Author

Says this on the sky website Highlinder!

Untitled.jpg

@Chrisk1970Now I can see where you got the 90Mb/s on upload, that is the UK average

Chrisk1970
Topic Author

No I understand its just an average its just that my upload speeds don't seem to have gone up at all! Which seems a bit strange! I'm getting a little under the average download speeds but only just . But the upload speed compared to the average is not even close!!?

This message was authored by DanD90 This message was authored by: DanD90

Have you reset the router and ONT?

Chrisk1970
Topic Author

Iv'e reset the router! How do you reset the ONT?

This message was authored by DanD90 This message was authored by: DanD90

Turn the power off to it for a few minutes. Turn the router off too and let the ONT show all green lights then reboot the router. 

Chrisk1970
Topic Author

Ahhh found it thanks! 🙂

This message was authored by SpudC8 This message was authored by: SpudC8

Hi all,

First time posting, thought I'd bump this topic as my gigafast Internet appears to be suffering the exact same issue.

Before I begin, I'd like to point out that I'm an IT Engineer, so know what I'm doing and have done my own diagnostics.

1. Speeds are tested via CAT6 cable. Getting excellent download of between 800 to 900Mbps - more than happy with this.

2. Getting constant 70Mbps upload speeds (was previously on the 500Mbps plan and got the same) 

3. I run a pfsense box as my firewall/router. Tried switching out to the Sky Hub, still same upload speeds. 

4. Have rebooted the ONT multiple times, leaving powered off for hours. Made no difference. 

5. Called Sky within the first few days after upload speeds didn't increase. Explained I was an IT Engineer and had completed diagnostics on my end. Had to go through the usual diagnostics with them again (felt a bit insulted). Of course, no change. They told me it could take 14 days for speeds to settle (obviously don't know what they're talking about as there's no DLM on FTTP). 

So at the point where I'm pretty much stuck with the 70Mbps speeds. Pointless calling Sky again to go through the same **bleep**. I think this is a case of a stuck profile. The main reason I upgraded was for the extra upload speed too. 500Mbps download was more than enough. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@SpudC8 

The claimed 90mbps is an average figure and your actual upload speed will depend on local infrastructure. Unless you dip below guarantee there is likely nothing Sky will be willing to do. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

• As there appears to be no consistent way to measure the speeds you are getting at the router (see my posts elsewhere) I would call Sky and register the fact that you believe you have this problem and that it is the reason for choosing the option.
  • Unfortunately as pointed out by @TimmyBGood in other posts on this board the Sky Advisers will work to the rules laid down despite them being incorrect.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion