Discussion topic: Unstable WiFi (High latency)

This message was authored by adeler This message was authored by: adeler

Unstable WiFi (High latency)

Hi, for about two months now I've been having poor, unstable WiFi connection.
I originally thought it was an issue on my device but after somes tests I've come to the conclusion it's the ISP.
For about 50% of the time it works fine, but for the other 50% I can't watch youtube videos in 1080p or play any online games (ping is either so high it kicks me or is unbearable to play on)
- note ping is good for most of the time but every 5 minutes will spike from 20ms to 1000ms

Here are my router stats: https://imgur.com/a/m01opV9 
(I tried to take this screenshot at a time it was performing poorly but it might have been working fine at this time)

What the Sky WiFi test looks like 90% of the time: https://imgur.com/a/G0rMU5N 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Unstable WiFi (High latency)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@adeler wrote:

I've come to the conclusion it's the ISP.

ISP hardware, quite possibly, but that's different to 'the ISP'

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
adeler
Topic Author

didn't realise i could attatch images without a link. here they are 

adeler_0-1686745064439.png

adeler_1-1686745083963.png

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@adeler 

Looking at the router stats you have a raised downstream noise margin and less than the maximum 80Mbps speed downstream at 74Mbps capped. This is likely caused by flapping the broadband line excessively (restarting the router).

DLM will likely fix the speed after a few days depending on how excessively the restarts have occurred.

Unfortunately, the ISP will not likely entertain an issue because the speed is above MGS and wireless isn't guaranteed at any speed or reliability.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
adeler
Topic Author

Ah ok, the thing is I've been having latency spikes (borderline internet cutting out) for just under 2 months now. So it's not just a recent issue from me resetting the router loads
I only started resetting to try and fix the original issue
Just spiking to 1000ms while trying to play games.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@adeler sounds like packet loss and while that can happen within Sky's network or in the route to the game servers its pretty unusual.

You can set up a Broadband Quality Monitor here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality which will show you if there is an issue within Sky's network - the test pings your router at regukar intervals from a server within the main London Internet Exchange showing round trip time graphically. It is useful evidence if there is an issue but normally the issue is either in your home network especially if gaming over wifi or at the server end so I would check those out as well.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
adeler
Topic Author

Thanks! I noticed while gaming every sort of 5 minutes I spike to 1000ms and 100% packet loss and for a small amount of time until it slowly comes down so the graph just looks like this 

adeler_0-1686833370841.png

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@adeler 

You need to use your IPv4 address not 6

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
adeler
Topic Author

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense
The thing is I'm still getting spikes to 1000ms periodicallywhile gaming on my computer which last a few seconds that arent shown on this graph
How come they don't show on here? - does this mean its my network adapter at fault?

adeler_0-1686840501179.png

@adeler 

Almost certainly because the problem is in your local network rather in the WAN where the BQM monitors.

For starters are you using WiFi or ethernet when your get the spikes?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
adeler
Topic Author

I'm using WiFi, unfortunately the router is too far away to use ethernet.

- What does this graph show, the speeds my router is outputting (like what id get if i used ethernet?)

@adeler 

Then that is almost certainly your problem. WiFi may well have worked fine for you previously but if any conditions have changed (this could be something as simple as someone getting  a new device or your neighbour installing a new router/appliance) then it may render your WiFi singnal useless for gaming.

The easiest way around this is to use ethernet, if you cant use direct ethernet then maybe consider powerline adapters instead which use the electrical sockets to act as ethernet bridges. You could also look at getting a gaming focused WiFi router which is more optimised for the job.

The graph is showing the latency in response time from your router via the WAN. We would often see yellow/red spiking if the router was overwhelmed with traffic or Sky's routing for your connection was poor. However yours looks better than the average. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
adeler
Topic Author

Yeah alright thanks very much for the help - was going to call sky and get an engineer but you've helped me a lot. It's clearly my problem like you said when comparing the latency and packetloss to what I actually recieve.
The thing is I originally thought it was my problem and not sky's so I've already tried so many solutions haha. Thanks, I'll try and figure out the issue
(I assume its something to do with my network adapter because ever since I did a case swap this started - I replaced it and its still not working but hopefully I can figure it out)

Thanks! ❤️

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion