Discussion topic: To replace sr204 router

This message was authored by davewraith This message was authored by: davewraith

To replace sr204 router

Hi 

Can I  replace my sr204 router with TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless router,

If not what routers are compatible thanks 

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: To replace sr204 router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@davewraith 

To get rid of the sr204 you would need a seperate g.fast modem or a combination g.fast modem/router

The tp link are difficult to authenticate with sky servers

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@davewraith 

To get rid of the sr204 you would need a seperate g.fast modem or a combination g.fast modem/router

The tp link are difficult to authenticate with sky servers

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@davewraith 

The asus dsl ac88u is the only g.fast modem router available at the moment as g.fast technology is at a dead end as exchanges are upgraded to fttp

ASUS DSL-AC88U AC3100 Wi-Fi Gigabit Modem Router, Upto 18x Speed than VDSL2, USB 3.0 for LTE/3G Connection, Media Server for (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) - Black https://amzn.eu/d/eAYkx5A

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@davewraith 

Other than that the draytek vigor 166 can be used as a g.fast modem bridge

DrayTek Vigor V166 G.fast & VDSL2 Modem, IPv6 and IPv4 Compatible, 2 Gigabit LAN Ports https://amzn.eu/d/95DBMBZ

In conjunction with any asus rt ax wifi 6 router (ignore the asus dsl rt ax82u)

Could i just ask you to confirm what speed you are getting

davewraith
Topic Author
This message was authored by davewraith This message was authored by: davewraith

It varies from 30-121mbps, but still very new to all the technical bits, I'm getting sky glass 55" on Saturday but for the speed I'm meant to be getting which is 149mbps It still buffers & downloads I think should be a lot faster.

@davewraith 

Also be aware that replacing the sr204 via any of the options above will mean that your sky internet calls thru the telephone socket on the back of the hub won't work on a 3rd set up

The solution could be to retain the sr204 and switch its wifi off and then get one of the entry level asus rt ax routers and ethernet to the sr204 and change the operating mode to access point

This will allow you to retain your sky calls

Also can you post the hub stats from the sky hub

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion