Discussion topic: Third party router or mesh with sky fibre

marc-knuckle
Topic Author
This message was authored by marc-knuckle This message was authored by: marc-knuckle

Re: Third party router or mesh with sky fibre

Any further help on this appreciated. I've just been told there is going to be an Amazon sale in a customer of weeks so might be able to pick up a discount on the router so being well.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@marc-knuckle 

Since you have FTTP you wont need a separate modem as the ONT on your wall acts as a modem as such. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
marc-knuckle
Topic Author
This message was authored by marc-knuckle This message was authored by: marc-knuckle

Cheers mate.

Any thoughts on an Asus WiFi 6 router that would work that you've heard is good or tried yourself?

And anywhere you've seen a set up process to get it working?

Thanks again

@marc-knuckle 

I am currently using the Asus RT-AX88u and have used it on Sky broadband before I moved provider. Performance is top notch IMO. 

Below are some screenshots of my config i posted a while back. Its pretty simple to setup

2022-09-06 11_37_09-Remote Desktop Manager Free [Nursenetwork.ddns.net].png2022-09-06 11_36_27-Remote Desktop Manager Free [Nursenetwork.ddns.net].png2022-03-24 18_45_51-.png2022-03-08 13_11_04-Remote Desktop Manager Free [Nursenetwork.ddns.net].png2022-03-08 13_12_46-Remote Desktop Manager Free [Nursenetwork.ddns.net].png

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Thanks mate. I saw something about sky MER somewhere, did you have to do something like that?

@marc-knuckle 

Thats the Client Identifier (DHCP Option 61) Field in the screenshot

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Yeah that string of letters and numbers. I remember them choosing Sky MER from a drop down menu for some reason. Maybe that's now auto when you type those in.

Thanks again

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@marc-knuckle  
Sky MER is DHCP Option 61, they just have different names depending on which brand of router you use and if you have an external modem. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Thanks again. I'll keep my eye out for one in the next Amazon prime sale in a few weeks.

@marc-knuckle 

One thing to keep in mind is that if you replace the Sky hub you wont be able to use your landline anymore as its required to be plugged into the Sky hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Yeah no worries with that, we don't use it anyway.

This message was authored by ColD This message was authored by: ColD

Just wanting to jump in on this thread, as it'll almost certainly help me out.

Ex Virginmedia guy here, I had an ASUS RT-AC87U router, behind the VirginHub in modem mode. I have discovered that Modem mode is not available on SkyHub (SR203). I've been playing around with a few options, not got my ideal setup yet.

I DO need a phone connection, so whatever happens I guess I need to keep the Sky Hub connected to the ONT. I was hoping to continue using my ASUS Router with a LAN behind the SKY router. But it seems that I am snookered unless there is a way to set a Static Route on the Sky hub, pointing to my inner LAN. 
Here is a hypothetical situation which mirrors what I'm after.

Here's a simple network diagram of what I want.

ONT ------------ SKY HUB ------------------------------ASUS ROUTER ---------- INNER LAN

I                                                          ^

SKY LAN                                    WAN IP ON SKY LAN

@ColD 

Not possible I am afraid. The best you'll get is putting your Asus router's LAN IP in the DMZ of the Sky hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by ColD This message was authored by: ColD

@jamesn123 

Thanks mate, have been reading up on that scenario.

If it wasnt for the fact I wanted a landline, I would be binning the SkyHub

Cheers for the reply

marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Just about to install the new Asus router.

Just wondering if i should turn any WiFi setting off on my sky q box? I still want to use the mini in the bedroom but don't need mesh or anything.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion