Discussion topic: Third party router or mesh with sky fibre

This message was authored by marc-knuckle This message was authored by: marc-knuckle

Third party router or mesh with sky fibre

Hi all

A few months back i was asking on here about using a mesh system with my sky router. I got some advice and as the time is getting closer for when I'll have enough money ready to buy one i thought I'd recheck but it seems to have been deleted on here???

However part of the reason for coming back to check is that i vaguely remember getting some info as to HOW to get it to work and now when I Google it, it seems to suggest you can't do it, you can't put the sky router in modern mode.

So, instead of spending £300 on a mesh system to then find out doesn't work, is it best to get a normal router that is simply better than the sky? Will that even work? Or can i get the mesh to work somehow?

Thanks, Marc

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Third party router or mesh with sky fibre

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@marc-knuckle  
Sky MER is DHCP Option 61, they just have different names depending on which brand of router you use and if you have an external modem. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

marc-knuckle
Topic Author
This message was authored by marc-knuckle This message was authored by: marc-knuckle

Anyone help please?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@marc-knuckle 

No the Sky hub doesnt have modem only mode, it never has.

There is two ways to connect your 3rd party router/mesh.

1. Piggy back on the Sky hub by switching WiFi OFF on the Sky hub then connecting your 3rd party router/mesh system via ethernet to the Sky hub and using it for all your devices.

2. Remove the Sky hub completely and connect your router directly to the line. This will require that your 3rd party router/mesh system can authenticate via DHCP Option 61. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Excellent. Thanks.

Any recommendations? 

I was looking at the XE75 3 pack mesh so that my two sons can connect to it via ethernet and WiFi in their bedrooms and the third would be the one connected to the sky router. 

Or would it be better or cheaper to simply get a better router?

Lastly, any guide you can give for either of your options? I'm not TOO untechy but my luck hasn't been great messing too much on my own.

Thanks mate, Marc

@marc-knuckle 

The cost effectiveness of each solution totally depends upon your use case really. If you feel one router would suffice and cover your whole home then of course it would be cheaper than a mesh solution with multiple nodes. But at the same time if you feel you need a mesh network to reliably cover your home in WiFi and would like your sons to connect via ethernet to the mesh nodes then that may likely be more cost effective for yourself. 

I dont believe the Deco XE75's have the DHCP Option 61 field so you'd be inclined to use the first option of switching WiFi off on the Sky hub then connecting the Deco's to the Sky hub. For this setup there is no specific instructions as all the setup will be done via the TP-Link deco guide. If you need instructions on how to switch WiFi off on your Sky hub they can be provided.

For replacing the Sky hub outright I can recommend any of the Asus AC/AX series with the option of using their AI mesh for extra coverage. These are quite easy to setup and I know for a fact they have the DHCP Option 61 field in the WAN config. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

I admit i didn't actually think you could outright swap the sky router completely?

We don't need the telephone part of that router as although we technically have a line, it's not used.

Even though my one son is directly over the living room, good connection is very spotty. Wonder if a better router would push the signal further and more reliably?

@marc-knuckle 

You can indeed swap the router completely if you dont need use of the landline.

A 3rd party router would more than likely push a better signal as ISP routers are designed with a budget in mind so tend to cut corners on WiFi range & speed.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Any thoughts on this one - ASUS RT-AX86S

Or anything better for not much more?

Is there a guide to swapping out the sky router completely? And also can you foresee any issues with the sky q + mini set up?

@marc-knuckle 

Just realised you never clarified what type of broadband technology you are on. FTTC or FTTP?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Oh, forgot, I'm not sure but i do get 500mbps download?

@marc-knuckle 

Must be FTTP. Assuming you have a white Openreach ONT on your wall somewhere? Looks something like below.

300px-Fttp-ont-pon.jpg

I am NOT a Sky Employee
marc-knuckle
Topic Author

I'll take a look when i get home and report back 😁 

marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Just checked, yeah I've got one of those white openreach boxes on the wall mate

marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Just doing some sofa searching. A post i was just reading was discussing using a separate modem and router whereas i thought we were saying i could just unplug the sky router and plug in a new third party router. Is that right?

Also with settings, is there a post with the exact set up process and details to input on the new routers page? I'll take a look now in preparation of any responses but thought I'd ask while I'm doing so.

marc-knuckle
Topic Author

Found this but I'm not sure it's exactly my scenario.

https://youtu.be/DgX40Zu_-yY?si=0o8fzEf2lQ3MSaT4

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion