Discussion topic: Taking Ultrafast Broadband and keeping current landline

This message was authored by CaroC This message was authored by: CaroC

Taking Ultrafast Broadband and keeping current landline

So, I have just contacted SKY to move from Superfast Broadband (using current copper landline) to Ultrafast using full fibre as fibre has now been run to the bottom of my street. They would install a new full fibre cable from the fibre at the bottom of my street directly to my house but they say they will have to cancel my current landline as the 'future is internet calling'. I want to keep my current landline (pay landline costs etc..) but they say they can't do it as they will need to cancel everything. It just doesn't make sense. I can go to a competitor and have a new full fibre line installed and keep my landline with SKY. Apparently there's no work around and noone to go and ask why I can't keep the current landline. Any one else had this issue or know of whom to ask the question?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Taking Ultrafast Broadband and keeping current landline

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CaroC 

One way or the other pstn (telephone via copper) will be shut down at some stage in 2025. So even if your broadband still remains fttc the telephone itself will operate via the sky hub

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CaroC 

Sky don't 'cancel the landline': they provision the address with an SOGEA FTTC wholesale product which by definition has no PSTN service.  As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, that is where the whole national UK telecoms infrastructure is going, and there are already several hundred exchange areas where no new 'landline' sales are possible.   FTTP has no PSTN because there's no copper in that connection at all.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
CaroC
Topic Author

Hi cookiemonsteruk,

I realise that but for now I want to keep the landline.

Surely someone else must have come across the same issue and perhaps gotten further than just being told that there's no work around.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CaroC 

There's no workaround: it's Sky policy to supply SOGEA (as it is for an increasing number of other ISPs) because in a couple of years that's all they will be able to purchase.

You could try other ISPs, but be aware that they are all on this pathway.  Remember that your phone number still works: it's just the handset plugs into the ISP router.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
CaroC
Topic Author

Hi TimmyBeGood,

thanks, yes, I realise it's all going to be changing and that I can keep the actual number, but for now I want to keep the landline seperate. Guess it's going with another provider for now.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@CaroC  Most providers now bundle in broadband & phone. As the use of landlines is being passed by the use of mobiles. Plus when your exchange has been changed to SOGEA then having your landline separate is not going to be possible.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion