Discussion topic: Sudden Change In Speeds

This message was authored by Aleksandrorlov This message was authored by: Aleksandrorlov

Sudden Change In Speeds

I have been on Superfast for 2 or 3 years, always had between 68 and 72 to the hub and a constant 19 upload.

I discovered only by chance when i was assigning an IP that upon further investigation my speed for the last month has dropped to low 50's.

Nothing in the setup has changed and as i say, thats the quoted speed on the Sky page, as such i got an email telling me as its below the guaranteed speed I can leave without penaltly, which is all well and good.

I had an engineer attend, he changed the BT phone point and tested with a new ADSL cable and hub, which didnt resolve anything, after tweaking he managed to eventually get my speed to 59, but no more.

Any ideas what may have caused this sudden drop?

My conspiracy side is that full fibre should be available in the next few weeks and they have sabotaged the line to persuade me to fibre (which i would anyway)

Meerkat

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sudden Change In Speeds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aleksandrorlov wrote:

My conspiracy side is that full fibre should be available in the next few weeks and they have sabotaged the line to persuade me to fibre (which i would anyway)

That's somewhat unlikely (Ofcom would probably take a dim view) but it could be the case that Openreach is now reluctant to resource remediation of copper faults when there's a fibre alternative.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author
This message was authored by Aleksandrorlov This message was authored by: Aleksandrorlov

I agree, just a coincidence. Still can't understand what would be the sudden issue 

Meerkat
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Aleksandrorlov  I did have the very same thing happen when I was with BT and moved over to Sky. Connection  when installed was a good 76 mb/sec, but over time it dropped down to 59. Think this was down to that BT had a lot of subs in the area.

Moved over to Sky and it slowly did climb back to around 76, but this did take time. Finally moved over to full-fibre and never looked back.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

But I have been with Sky for 3 years, been at 70+ for all that time. 

Now suddenly low 50s for no apparent reason, that's what I don't understand. 

Meerkat
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Aleksandrorlov   Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

These would show any fault.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Aleksandrorlov  As I said it could be down to capacity. I was told this many times and when I did move to another provider my speed did increase again.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

Screenshot_20240228_105618_Samsung Internet.jpg

Meerkat
Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

Attached as requested 

Meerkat
Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

@GD1  Attached above, appreciate your help 

Meerkat
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Aleksandrorlov 

The VDSL2 broadband line is about 650 metres from the cabinet and you are at just under 60Mbps downstream. Even though this is less than the previous speed you had at 70Mbps it is about right for distance and a moderate amount of cross-talk from other lines in the bundle and there is little that can be done to improve the situation unless lines get disconnected with the uptake of FTTP.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

@mae-3 How did you get that info from my statistics? 

Meerkat
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Aleksandrorlov 

The actual cable length to the cabinet distance on a non-faulty line can be calculated based on the frequency response from each of the three bands with its wavelength properties and dB attenuation.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion