Discussion topic: Still in contract and moving home

This message was authored by NicoleBW This message was authored by: NicoleBW

Still in contract and moving home

We are in contract with Sky for Gigafast Broadband, Telephone and Sky Glass. The property we are looking at moving to does not have Gigafast broadband. Will we be able to switch to a more appropriate contract such as a Superfast 59Mb without a penalty?

Unfortunately the broadband speeds are much lower than the house we are in now but we intend to stay with Sky for broadband, telephone and Sky Glass.

Thank you

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Still in contract and moving home

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NicoleBW 

Enter your full new postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
NicoleBW
Topic Author

I used the link you posted but it returned with this message.

'We cannot determine broadband availability at this location. This may be a new address to which connectivity is not yet complete.'

The property was turned into a house from a commercial property and I don't think anyone has lived there yet.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@NicoleBW 

Have you checked availability on the sky website?

If its not showing on bt wholesale it would be impossible to determine whether you would even get the 59Mbps as that is the national average

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@NicoleBW wrote:

'We cannot determine broadband availability at this location. This may be a new address to which connectivity is not yet complete.'

Unfortunately that will probably make it difficult for any ISP to accept an order for any kind of broadband, because that's the database which populates their sales systems.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
NicoleBW
Topic Author

I need to look into this more 😬 before we decide to buy.

Thank you 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@NicoleBW 

That would definitely be advisable: if the developer didn't take at least some steps to register the project with Openreach and make preparations for connectivity, the first occupant might be looking at weeks or even months of delay to get a data bearer in place.

Perhaps also worth noting that alongside physical cabling issues, name/address/postcode can be a significant factor in getting services supplied to a new build or a property after a change of use.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

Definitely if you require internet services and the place does not have proper facilities to accommodate, it could be a major put off for buying this property.

Before buying though, you could push the developer to get this resolved as a major potential requirement to purchasing the property.

Nowadays the utilities when buying a new build house have to be in place or can be grounds for compensation, reduction in property price and remedy under law. 

Though beware, it could cost you the difference in legal fees for a judgement of putting this right. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion