Discussion topic: Speed test doesn’t match sky speed test

This message was authored by Craig+Couthino This message was authored by: Craig+Couthino

Speed test doesn’t match sky speed test

Hi -I've basically had my broadband fixed , the sky speed test shows 65mb download speeds but when I run a test via fast.com or okolla it's coming up at 4mb ? 

surely there can't be that much of a disparity ? Downloading tv programmes takes ages 

any help appreciated 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Speed test doesn’t match sky speed test

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Craig+Couthino 

Depends if you speedtesting via wifi or ethernet.

The speed is guaranteed to the router how you use your devices is up to you

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Craig+Couthino  For the forum to help please post your router stats https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717

If you are doing speed tests over wifi what happens when you do over ethernet connected devices?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Craig+Couthino
Topic Author
This message was authored by Craig+Couthino This message was authored by: Craig+Couthino

Hi my router stats are attached 

04767E26-F5F5-4A4B-B266-C236C97E4F71.png

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Craig+Couthino  You are getting the speeds expected to your router, that is what Sky measures.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Craig+Couthino 

65Mbps to the router . The rx b/s at the end of wan mer shows a download of just shy of 10Mbps at the time the line was tested. Testing via wifi is prone to inaccurate results especially on 2.4ghz

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Craig+Couthino
Topic Author

Thanks for the replies -but my laptop , ps5 and sky box are using an Ethernet and running speed tests on all of them show 4mb download ? 

never had an issue until this problem was fixed even running speed tests off my phone would show 45mb download speeds -now it's 4mb ? 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Craig+Couthino 

How long since the fault was fixed? Can take around 24-48 hours for the throughput to come back 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Craig+Couthino
Topic Author

It's been 5 days now -sky are sending me a new hub out tomorrow to try as all test are showing 65mb coming in , but it's just not distributing that out ....it took 6 hrs to download a 30 minute program to my q box (and that's connected by a cable) 

This message was authored by Redbaron165 This message was authored by: Redbaron165

@Craig+Couthino  Was your issue resolved?  I'm frustrated with Sky as using 4 different speedtest programmes whether over Ethernet with my PC or over WiFi with my iPhone and over different days and times of day, I never exceed 12mbs, yet the Sky speed test (and History) show 40mbs).  My contract is for 40mbs, but I expect  some degradation due to my system componenets, but this is ridiculous.

Apparently, according to Sky, the Sky Speed test gives a true result independent of my components.  Me thinks it's a false reading in their defence of meeting their contractual requirements.  Am I wrong?  Why do all other speed test programmes tell a completely different story?

I've disconnected all other equipment from the Sky hub (router) which included a NAS (ethernet), WiFi extender (ethernet) and Printer (WiFi), so only my PC connected and have the same poor results.  I've checked all my drivers are up to date and reset the router to factory settings and no change.  I feel I'm being conned.  Is any one else having the same issue? 

This message was authored by Redbaron165 This message was authored by: Redbaron165

Addendum:

Whilst Download is an average of 12mbs, upload is less than 1mbs on occasions 

Router_Stats_20220726.jpg

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Redbaron165 your hub is synchronised with the cabinet at a tad over 40Mb/s which means with a single device connected over a fast network link a reliable speedtest will give speeds around 35Mb/s as you lose some bandwidth to network overheads. Rarely and I do mean rarely Sky networks can throttle that speed due to a fault but over 99% of the time the issue is within the customers network. 

Therefore to prove that the issue is down to Sky you must test speeds using exactly the set up explained above. I would never use wifi for such a test and only use a direct ethernet cable and you must disconnect all other devices as many devices still use bandwidth in the background when not in use. Ookla tests are pretty reliable as is this one https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Wifi is affected by several factors such as interference, attenuation due to the layout and construction of your property. Ethernet connection via wifi or via Powerline is also unreliable for testing purposes which is why I suggest using a single end to end cable.

Please post back your results.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee Thanks for the response.  I'm farely well versed in these issues.  I'm sat next to my Sky Hub and my PC is connected directly to the HUB by Ethernet.  I have removed all connections to the Hub except for the PC's ethernet connection and turned off all wifi devices.  I'm a meter from my wall connection with CAT5 to my street connection about 4 meters away and our area connection (the big green box!) is 20 meters away at the bottom of my garden.

You're correct, I only expect 35mbps and is what I normaly get.  I replced my PC about 6 months ago and it has a decent spec with an onboard Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (12) I219-V with drivers updated (12.19.2.45)

With my SkyQ box turned off (powered off) my Synology NAS and TP-Link power-line disconnected, I used wifi (iPhone 12 sitting next to the Hub) to see if my ethernet connection was causing the issue.

Advanced Ip Scanner shows only my phone and PC connected.

Speedtest = download 4mbs, upload 0.15mbps

Broadbandspeedchecker = download 1.33mbps, upload 0.28mbps

Sky Broadband checker = 40mbs with 3 greens for area connection, hub and line

Unbelievable, or am i missing something?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Redbaron165 

To me that sounds like a line fault or local congestion in your area. Have you had an engineer out to look at the issue yet?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Redbaron165 agree it does look like an external fault. One thought is to force a change of Public IP address by powering diwn for 10 to 15 minutes. There have been issues with Sky's gateway radius servers causing issues with throughput with any luck if one is faulty a reboot switches you onto a good one.  

If not call Sky and report the fault but becaware the default answer will be an issue with your network so you will have to politely explain you have eliminated that possibility.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion